Retro-fitting streetlights in town to be dark sky night compliant

Status
Not open for further replies.

user 100

Which part of that is incorrect? Prove me wrong :thumbsup:

IS this everyone's opinion?

We are talking about street lighting, nothing fancy. And yes I know the light source is pure yellow.

With lps, it's harder to to see stuff/make things out clearly at at night- to many (me included) they have that effect. The "tint" effect is too irritating. The fact that they may be more energy efficient and accepted by Europeans must be paired against our visibilty preferences here and other factors like the cost issue mentioned by Peter d- what works somewhere else may not work for us.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
With lps, it's harder to to see stuff/make things out clearly at at night- to many (me included) they have that effect. The "tint" effect is too irritating. The fact that they may be more energy efficient and accepted by Europeans must be paired against our visibilty preferences here and other factors like the cost issue mentioned by Peter d- what works somewhere else may not work for us.

I agree, but in dark sky areas such a light source adds much more + to the equation than -. The reduced energy consumption can offset the cost of the tubes (bulbs), as does LED. I am not saying this is the only route the OP should take, but one option worth considering.

ActionDave

Chief Moderator
Staff member
Durango, CO, 10 h 20 min from the winged horses.
Occupation
Licensed Electrician
I have been an astronomy buff since I was in the sixth grade. I understand where the dark sky people are coming from. They are, however, asking a lot from the rest of society. To have some of this stuff forced on cities and the people that live there is annoying at a minimum.

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
I have been an astronomy buff since I was in the sixth grade. I understand where the dark sky people are coming from. They are, however, asking a lot from the rest of society. To have some of this stuff forced on cities and the people that live there is annoying at a minimum.

But how many people have objected? Going from Mercury to HPS resulted in a far steeper drop in CRI then HPS to LPS. I agree (with the vid) parking lots do horribly with LPS, but streets matter less so imho.

user 100

I understand where the dark sky people are coming from. They are, however, asking a lot from the rest of society. To have some of this stuff forced on cities and the people that live there is annoying at a minimum.

^^^^^^
This

But how many people have objected? Going from Mercury to HPS resulted in a far steeper drop in CRI then HPS to LPS. I agree (with the vid) parking lots do horribly with LPS, but streets matter less so imho.

See above.:)

And a lot of people hated Hps too. You can see better/distinguish objects better with LEDs on a street at night- important to a large degree because of street crime. Lps near an observatory/ where necessary, sure, but I would vote no about putting them everywhere.

tkb

:lol::happyno:

They did not 'catch on' because they are disgusting.

The only place you could get away with them is industrial.

I have only installed one LPS fixture about 35 years ago. It's still on the building.

iwire

Staff member

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

well, nothing is getting installed here for private parking lot lighting, etc.
that isn't LED.

first off, the energy calcs help the project. secondly, there is a requirement
in calif. that exterior lighting (not decorative or sales) has a motion sensor
that drops the lighting to 20% when nothing is around, and steps it up to
100% when you are there.

LED's do that nicely. and at 80~90 lumens per watt, and no relamping costs,
nobody is using much else. i've not seen one non LED parking lot light in the
last two years here.

as for picking a light, if you get something LEED approved, it has a 100% cutoff
for light scatter.

Status
Not open for further replies.