Overhead Distribution Line Taps

Status
Not open for further replies.

mull982

Does anyone have any experience with tapping existing overhead distribution lines.

I need to specify a tap connector but do not have much experience in this area. It appears that a Parallel Groove Clamp would be the best clamp for this application? Are there any others type clamps that may be better suited for a permanent tap application?

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
There's more needed such as conductor types and I assume there will be a c/o to protect the lateral, so how is that built. xrm under build? You might be best contracting an experienced high voltage contractor as they would know how to do this and build it. Since this seems like a private line, maybe even you can contract the local utility to do the work.

mull982

There's more needed such as conductor types and I assume there will be a c/o to protect the lateral, so how is that built. xrm under build? You might be best contracting an experienced high voltage contractor as they would know how to do this and build it. Since this seems like a private line, maybe even you can contract the local utility to do the work.

This is for a 13.2kV customer owned overhead line on their facility that will be tapped to provide a new service drop to a part of the facility. The existing 13.2kV line will be tapped and hit a group operated switch and cut-out before it transitions down the pole as the service drop.

I'm trying to determine the best method for tapping the existing line for this application. I have seen different tap hardware (Ampact Connector, Hot Line clamp, parallel groove clamp, etc...) used in the past but am not sure what the best method for this type of application would be.

mull982

Have you got or can you hire the tool for fitting Ampact Connectors?

I am actually the engineer in this case specifying the taps/connectors as part of the design. I was looking to see what the best type of connector would be to specify.

Bugman1400

See if the owner has a standard for the parts and pieces they typically use for the 13.2kV system. Typically, customers like to use the same stuff since they will already have the tools. Otherwise, you have the added expense of buying new tools and parts. If the customer does not have a standard then I typically use the standard of the local PoCo. Its not uncommon for the local PoCo to perform contracted 13.2kV service work for industrial customers because they have the personnel, training, and line trucks.

wbdvt

Occupation
Electrical Engineer, PE
I have used H taps and Ampact connectors. If the utility company is going to respond for emergencies you might find what they use. Whether it is ACSR or AAAC could also impact the type of connector.

topgone

I have used H taps and Ampact connectors. If the utility company is going to respond for emergencies you might find what they use. Whether it is ACSR or AAAC could also impact the type of connector.

In my other life, the company I was with (PoCo) uses hot line connectors like this:
bc-bh1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.