sensor for lighting system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sucre

Hi everyone,
I'm designing a project for a industry's overhead lighting system, I' m considering if I can use two different types sensor to achieve automatic control (overhead lights will turn on as people are detected, similar to vehicle)? My initial plan was using electromagnetic sensors for vehicle detecting and pressure sensor for people detecting. I'm not sure if that works, but I would like to try. Thank you.

mgookin

Hi everyone,
I'm designing a project for a industry's overhead lighting system, I' m considering if I can use two different types sensor to achieve automatic control (overhead lights will turn on as people are detected, similar to vehicle)? My initial plan was using electromagnetic sensors for vehicle detecting and pressure sensor for people detecting. I'm not sure if that works, but I would like to try. Thank you.

Is this parking lot and pathway lighting?

By electromagnetic sensors for vehicle detection, do you mean induction loops like we use for traffic signals and automated gates?

Where is the project located?

Welcome to the forums!

Are you designing from scratch or designing an installation using current-production systems? The latter probably has it's own sensor pods. If from scratch- have you looked at the cost? Most personnel detectors use PIR sensors because they're cheap(er).

Sucre

By electromagnetic sensors for vehicle detection, do you mean induction loops like we use for traffic signals and automated gates?

Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for your helping, but I'm designing a street lighting system. when no one in the detection area the light will be off, otherwise, the light will be on. for electromagnetic sensor could detect vehicle accurately, but it's not suitable for people. that was the reason why I want to use two different types sensor.

Sucre

Are you designing from scratch or designing an installation using current-production systems? The latter probably has it's own sensor pods. If from scratch- have you looked at the cost? Most personnel detectors use PIR sensors because they're cheap(er).

my initial research for electromagnetic sensor is Honeywell's HMC1002. I would like to look at PIR sensors. Thanks!

Sucre

Welcome to the forums!

and the project located in Alberta CA

mgookin

my initial research for electromagnetic sensor is Honeywell's HMC1002. I would like to look at PIR sensors. Thanks!

Interesting Honeywell product there.

As to pressure sensitive sensors for humans, what would happen with packed snow or snow/ ice? Couldn't that produce a false positive or dissipate the load and produce a false negative?

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Hi everyone,

calif. for parking lot lighting has a sensor on the fixture arm usually.

a photocell that turns the lights on at night.

a motion sensor that detects people or vehicles, and turns the lights
on to 100%. after fifteen minutes of inactivity, it reduces the lighting
to 20%.

why do you need pressure sensors?

Sucre

to 20%.

Hi
what I'm think is motion sensor could be effected by metallic objects , but electromagnetic sensor does not. I want to do something differently, for example, a row of overhead light turns on while vehicle coming to detection area. As for human, lights will turn on individually when the guy come to the matching area. I don't know if that could be achieved, but like I said that was my initial plan. Thank you anyways.

mgookin

to 20%.

I think the light needs to be on before the 70mph car gets there for a roadway.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Hi
what I'm think is motion sensor could be effected by metallic objects , but electromagnetic sensor does not. I want to do something differently, for example, a row of overhead light turns on while vehicle coming to detection area. As for human, lights will turn on individually when the guy come to the matching area. I don't know if that could be achieved, but like I said that was my initial plan. Thank you anyways.
You can explore a lot of different detectors, but you need to keep firmly in mind that pressure sensitive detectors will be difficult to install and a maintenance nightmare outdoors. There is a reason that traffic signals now use loop detectors and video detectors instead of pressure plates.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
I think the light needs to be on before the 70mph car gets there for a roadway.

oh. i misunderstood. i thought this was area lighting, not a roadway.

so, you'd want to anticipate the vehicle arriving, so the light would
be of some practical use to the driver. i'm not getting the pedestrian
in a roadway situation, unless it's strictly for the entertainment value.:p

i was thinking parking lot, low speeds (usually) and pedestrians going to
and from their cars, trying not to get hit....

mgookin

I think the pedestrian part is on sidewalks adjacent roadways.
I don't know the speed limit on the road he's looking at.
I also don't know if he's looking at a particular road or coming up with a prototype system for a yet to be determined road or roads.
The nature of forums.

Status
Not open for further replies.