VFD disconnect handle in Hangar Space

Status
Not open for further replies.

faresos

we have a situation where a VFD will be installed in a hangar space and it will be floor mounted. The disconnect handle is at 6'-4" AFF. However, since this is a classified area up to 18" AFF (Class 1 Div2), and the unit will be mounted on 18" concrete pad which will make the disconnect handle at 7'-10". My question can we use the a hook stick at similar concept of the busway plug hook stick?Any thoughts?

faresos

In general that is correct, but take a look at 404.8(A) Exception #2.

"Exception No. 2: Switches and circuit breakers installed
adjacent to motors, appliances, or other equipment that they
supply shall be permitted to be located higher than 2.0 m (6 ft
7 in.) and to be accessible by portable means."

Don: per this exception it looks like we can install it higher than 6'-7". Would this disconnect consider to be serving the motor or the VFD? in our case is both because the motor is adjacent to the VFD. My understanding the code require us to have a disconnect for the controller, would this exception will also be applicable?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
"Exception No. 2: Switches and circuit breakers installed
adjacent to motors, appliances, or other equipment that they
supply shall be permitted to be located higher than 2.0 m (6 ft
7 in.) and to be accessible by portable means."

Don: per this exception it looks like we can install it higher than 6'-7". Would this disconnect consider to be serving the motor or the VFD? in our case is both because the motor is adjacent to the VFD. My understanding the code require us to have a disconnect for the controller, would this exception will also be applicable?
Only your AHJ can answer that...I see the VFD as "other equipment", for the application of the exception.

Status
Not open for further replies.