Supply Houses and Credits for Returns.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JP23

Over the years in dealing with various electrical supply companies I have found that after
returning items, when they say "We will issue you a credit." it usually means "If you remind us
in a couple months that you returned those goods we will issue you a credit." I'm just wondering
if others have this experience also.

jaylectricity

Occupation
licensed journeyman electrician
Well first of all they should be issuing you the credit slip that day at the counter when you return it.

For me, I don't use the supply house credit. I have a credit card with a high limit that I use to purchase all materials, then I pay it off as I get paid for the jobs. So when I return something they have to credit my card pretty much on the spot because I'm not going to pay for the materials I'm buying that day if they aren't going to credit the item to that day's invoice.

kwired

Electron manager
If you walk into the store with your return item, yes they should credit your account, credit your original card you made the purchase with, or refund you if you paid cash. If you purchased other items they could apply your return to your current purchase especially if it is not on store credit.

Some of us do have store drivers that deliver goods to us, either to our shop or even to job sites. If we have something to return they can bring it back but there is no transaction recorded until they get back to the store - which in my case is usually going to be after store closes and the credit transaction will not happen until the next business day, but my suppliers have been fairly good about doing such credits pretty quickly.

I had a recall notice a few months ago on a Square D I-line breaker - instructions were to purchase a replacement and return the recalled breaker to the supplier which they will credit the purchase back. I did that and sent the recalled unit back with delivery guy. Two months later I saw that particular credit had not yet been applied. Called my sales person and he said he never got any information back from Square D on what to do with it and still had the return item there in the store, and then said he was not surprised about that, but said he would still issue me a credit as soon as he was able to do so (was out of the office when I called otherwise would have done it right away).

JP23

Well first of all they should be issuing you the credit slip that day at the counter when you return it.

Yes, I agree and since it has happened several times at different places I'm going to ask for same-day paperwork from now on. I try not to return items
and when I do I usually warn them that I'm buying extras of some oddball item just in case I need them.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
We have to do returns periodically, and sometimes it's a mess to get it fixed up paperwork wise. A while back maybe ten years ago, one of our supply houses went through a period of time where they seemed incapable of getting any paperwork right. However we usually do everything through purchase orders, so when we return stuff it gets returned against that particular purchase order, and the paperwork gets fixed eventually.

kwired

Electron manager
We have to do returns periodically, and sometimes it's a mess to get it fixed up paperwork wise. A while back maybe ten years ago, one of our supply houses went through a period of time where they seemed incapable of getting any paperwork right. However we usually do everything through purchase orders, so when we return stuff it gets returned against that particular purchase order, and the paperwork gets fixed eventually.
Some of them have a policy of needing original invoice or PO so they can give you proper credit. This is especially true at places that may sell you items for a different price depending on factors like which sales rep helped you or what job name it happened to be ordered under. They just want to make sure they refund you what you actually were charged for it and if you don't give them proper reference they will need to spend extra time looking that information up in your past purchases. We sometimes forget that those that work at the supply house don't sit there all day waiting for us to give them something to do - there are other customers that need helped.

jaylectricity

Occupation
places that may sell you items for a different price depending on factors like

whatever side of the bed they woke up on.

Seriously, I hate this. It used to be a big problem at Northeast Electrical. One time they charged me $215 for a basic 200A panel with main breaker. And they don't mention how much it is when I swipe my credit card. I looked at the invoice/receipt later and was shocked. I took the slip back to them and asked what the heck. They admitted that I got screwed and fixed it down to $185 which is still a lot. But I was still pissed at their jokey nature while they did it. I made it a point to say, "I can't keep coming here if you're going to pull numbers out of a hat."

But then they offered an app. Now I can see the price I will get before I even get there. There is no guessing game. On occasion they can still give me a better price if I order a large number of an item or even if I coax them into it depending on the item.

peter d

whatever side of the bed they woke up on.

Seriously, I hate this. It used to be a big problem at Northeast Electrical. One time they charged me $215 for a basic 200A panel with main breaker. And they don't mention how much it is when I swipe my credit card. I looked at the invoice/receipt later and was shocked. I took the slip back to them and asked what the heck. They admitted that I got screwed and fixed it down to $185 which is still a lot. But I was still pissed at their jokey nature while they did it. I made it a point to say, "I can't keep coming here if you're going to pull numbers out of a hat."

But then they offered an app. Now I can see the price I will get before I even get there. There is no guessing game. On occasion they can still give me a better price if I order a large number of an item or even if I coax them into it depending on the item.

My friend is a small EC with an open account at Northeast. It's his primary supply house. I have looked at his invoices multiple times and have repeatedly told him he is getting ripped off and badly ripped off at that. It seems like they are easily 10-15% or more than other area suppliers.

jaylectricity

Occupation
My friend is a small EC with an open account at Northeast. It's his primary supply house. I have looked at his invoices multiple times and have repeatedly told him he is getting ripped off and badly ripped off at that. It seems like they are easily 10-15% or more than other area suppliers.

Yeah, I don't do too bad there. At a big box store I'll pull up the app and compare prices. Romex is always cheaper at the big box store, but MC is $25 cheaper per 250' at Northeast.

My favorite place to go is Electric Supply Center, but I haven't been doing a lot of work in Lexington like I used to so it's kind of a hike. And ever since they switched to the self-testing GFCIs they cost more than what you can get them for at the big box. I did happen to purchase nearly the last non-self-testing box of gfcis before they ran out.

Used to go to Granite City but I was getting ripped off there. Maybe their prices have come down some since they stopped advertising so much.

peter d

Yeah, I don't do too bad there. At a big box store I'll pull up the app and compare prices. Romex is always cheaper at the big box store, but MC is $25 cheaper per 250' at Northeast.

My favorite place to go is Electric Supply Center, but I haven't been doing a lot of work in Lexington like I used to so it's kind of a hike. And ever since they switched to the self-testing GFCIs they cost more than what you can get them for at the big box. I did happen to purchase nearly the last non-self-testing box of gfcis before they ran out.

Used to go to Granite City but I was getting ripped off there. Maybe their prices have come down some since they stopped advertising so much.

Granite City is the worst. They are good when it comes to get lighting stuff since few big suppliers deal with it, but everything else they sell is outrageously expensive.

mgookin

Some of them have a policy of needing original invoice or PO so they can give you proper credit. This is especially true at places that may sell you items for a different price depending on factors like which sales rep helped you or what job name it happened to be ordered under. They just want to make sure they refund you what you actually were charged for it and if you don't give them proper reference they will need to spend extra time looking that information up in your past purchases. We sometimes forget that those that work at the supply house don't sit there all day waiting for us to give them something to do - there are other customers that need helped.

You have some very valid points there. They have different prices for different customers using whatever factor that customer is entitled to based on volume, product lines, etc.

I'll suggest OP walk in with the receipt he purchased the goods with when doing a return and wait for the paperwork.
With that paperwork they can pull it up real quick and get it right in a timely fashion.

I got a quote one day on 25 different products. Two months later I'm there with no paperwork to pick up some product at the quoted prices and the guy who gave me the quote was not in. It took over ten minutes to find my quote in the system and the branch manager had to come out and find it. Imagine if I were there doing a return. It might not happen.

JP23

I was talking to a Supply house manager once and he said. "You know....the electrical supply business is like a game." He gets a smile on
his face and says " I kinda like playing the game." There's some strategy involved that's for sure. So, as I go along I try to figure out the game and how to
outsmart the salesman. If you spend a lot in a certain store and they don't have all of a certain item you need, just tell them you will pick up
the rest at the OTHER supply house. The items they did have will probably be billed just above cost because they want to make other guy to look
bad when you compare the pricing. I guess that kind of offsets the walk-in-the door with no quote purchases huh! In the old days I used to use
one main supplier and they always treated me fair. I can't seem to find that anymore. I can spend thousands and thousands and still get
gouged out of the blue. "It's the computers fault!!." LOL!!

JP23

Just wanted to add that there's a lot of great people that work hard in the electrical sales industry and
although it's nice to rant a little about their shortcomings the services they do provide are very much
appreciated. Strategies are fine as long as they are not deceptive.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
Just wanted to add that there's a lot of great people that work hard in the electrical sales industry and
although it's nice to rant a little about their shortcomings the services they do provide are very much
appreciated. Strategies are fine as long as they are not deceptive.

i have one wholesale house i do business with. i won't buy elsewhere.

absolutely trustworthy, and he trusts me, so it goes both ways. i've
never filled out a credit app, and i don't know what my credit limit is,
if there is one. the most i've ever had a tab up to is a bit under $200k,
i don't run large enough jobs that the amount would ever get above that
before a draw would balance things out.

i'll usually just walk in, and pull what i need, and send him an email
of what i took, if they are busy.

it's a mom and pop deal, one of the few remaining independents in an
industry awash with walters, gesco, etc. they stock stuff, in this day and
age of "just in time". they stock a lot of stuff.

they don't do motor control, and such, as their customers don't do much
of it. i have to go elsewhere for oiltight stuff, and plc's.

if you are lucky enough to find someone like this, make sure to send as
much stuff there way as you can. these guys are all that stand between
small electrical contractors, and being crapped on by large wholesale
houses that don't give a chit.

if you are in the so calif. orange county area, i don't know a better supply house.

Harbor Wholesale

4001 W Carriage Dr.
Santa Ana, CA 92704

Phone: (714) 434-2800
Fax: 714-434-7770
E-mail:
Info@HWES.com

ask for mike.

JP23

if you are in the so calif. orange county area, i don't know a better supply house.

Harbor Wholesale

4001 W Carriage Dr.
Santa Ana, CA 92704

Phone: (714) 434-2800
Fax: 714-434-7770
E-mail:
Info@HWES.com

ask for mike.

Thanks for the tip! I did a job a while back near Brookhurst and Edinger at the shopping center and am bummed I didn't
know about them sooner. If I'm back in that area working again I'll be sure and stop in for materials as well as mention your
referral.

Status
Not open for further replies.