Sink in kitchen island

Status
Not open for further replies.

crtemp

Does it say anywhere in the code that receptacles are required on either side of a sink when it's in a island? The island in question has a raised backsplash and I have 2 plugs installed. The only thing I see in the code just says kitchen islands must have one receptacle.
The inspector said he could have tagged it because the plugs were 30" away from the edge of the sink, but he let it go.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The island would require one receptacle unless the space behind the sink were less than 12". In that instance the island is considered to be two separate spaces with each one requiring a receptacle.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
The island would require one receptacle unless the space behind the sink were less than 12". In that instance the island is considered to be two separate spaces with each one requiring a receptacle.

I agree but to add to this the space on the side of the sink must be 12" or more otherwise it is not required

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Interesting fact -- if I have an island with a sink in the middle of 2- 10" countertop spaces on each side then no receptacle is required.

Status
Not open for further replies.