Lighting switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

luckylerado

I have a 208 V LED lighting circuit, can I use a 120/277 V lighting switch to control this luminaires? like this one...
http://www.leviton.com/OA_HTML/ProductDetail.jsp?partnumber=5601-I&section=47084&minisite=10251

What do you recommend if I can't and what part of NEC forbid it?

Thank you
Tom

I believe that you will need a double pole switch for 208 since there is no grounded conductor. I am sure there is a better reference (410 maybe) but for lack of time I would point to
(B) Off Indication. Where in the off position, a switching
device with a marked OFF position shall completely disconnect
all ungrounded conductors to the load it controls.

jumper

I believe that you will need a double pole switch for 208 since there is no grounded conductor. I am sure there is a better reference (410 maybe) but for lack of time I would point to
(B) Off Indication. Where in the off position, a switching
device with a marked OFF position shall completely disconnect
all ungrounded conductors to the load it controls.

Decora switches do not have a marked OFF position, so I am gonna say nope.:)

tomito

I guess it's not permitted for not disconnecting all the ungrounded conductors but, if its not marked with the off position, perhaps is not necessary to disconnect all the ungrounded conductors? :?

Tom

jumper

I guess it's not permitted for not disconnecting all the ungrounded conductors but, if its not marked with the off position, perhaps is not necessary to disconnect all the ungrounded conductors? :?

Tom

The switch may be just a control, not the disconnecting means, so switching all ungrounded conductors would not necessarily be required here. Many photocells only switch one leg of 208/240/480 single phase lighting.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
The switch may be just a control, not the disconnecting means, so switching all ungrounded conductors would not necessarily be required here. Many photocells only switch one leg of 208/240/480 single phase lighting.
Agreed

Roger

tomito

And the disconnecting means will be the TMB at the panelboard? So can I use this switch or do I have to talk with an inspector?

Tom

Status
Not open for further replies.