Conduits Entering Switchboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

This switchboard section was revised to add the feeder tags “1200”& “3000” which is 3 & 5 sets of 4”. These conduits would never enterthe sides, sort of like nipples, would they? Kind of how it's depicted. Or would they leave/enter each sectionfrom the top. Makes a big footage difference……how would you ever really knowduring the estimating phase. Experience I assume. Thanks.

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    77.1 KB · Views: 2

liquidtite

I think that's just how they drew it up not for you to enter in sides.

You could enter into switch board from top or stub into bottoms.

i never really seen switch board having conduits enter sides I don't think it would look good,

and then you could never add anouther section on in future.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Is the 750 KVA transformer part of the switchboard or are these all separate components/sections? And the 500 kcmil to building steel/water pipe is a waste of someones money.

mstrlucky74

Is the 750 KVA transformer part of the switchboard or are these all separate components/sections? And the 500 kcmil to building steel/water pipe is a waste of someones money.

Well switchboards that size always come as separate sections then get bolted together. In this case I'm not sure. I guess if they are bolted together they could still run conduits as shown but like Joe mentioned it could be bus tied together.....but then why show the conduits? A revision added those conduit tags and separated the xfrmr section as shown on the riser which is making me think...why:?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Why the 500mcm a waste. Way oversized I'm thinking?

#3/0 is the largest size required but if the designer gets all warm and fuzzy using a 500 kcmil so be it.

Regarding the step-up transformer, since the drawing indicates separate raceways I would assume that the 750 KVA is not integral to the switchboard. If it's installed between the two sections then I would guess that short pieces of FMC could be used between the transformer and the high and low voltage sections.

mstrlucky74

#3/0 is the largest size required but if the designer gets all warm and fuzzy using a 500 kcmil so be it.

Regarding the step-up transformer, since the drawing indicates separate raceways I would assume that the 750 KVA is not integral to the switchboard. If it's installed between the two sections then I would guess that short pieces of FMC could be used between the transformer and the high and low voltage sections.

As always, thanks.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Where do you see conduit tags?

You gave us a "part of the picture", not the "whole picture". Interpretation: part of the electrical plans without symbol legend and notes involved. Without those all I see is a revision cloud labeled "triangle 2". Note there is another much smaller one to the right. Without the former drawing and any pertinent notes, I have no idea what got changed (revised).

All I see with what I assume you mean conduit tags are a couple leaders with 1200 and 3000 in an oval callout symbol... and the 1200 callout is subnoted 25. To me these are feeder (wire or bus) ampacity values. Nothing about 'em says conduit. No matter what, if these are truly physically separated switchgear sections, to run conduit between them is ludicrous. Worst cases scenario, wireway. For all I know from here, it can be bus duct.

mstrlucky74

Where do you see conduit tags?

You gave us a "part of the picture", not the "whole picture". Interpretation: part of the electrical plans without symbol legend and notes involved. Without those all I see is a revision cloud labeled "triangle 2". Note there is another much smaller one to the right. Without the former drawing and any pertinent notes, I have no idea what got changed (revised).

All I see with what I assume you mean conduit tags are a couple leaders with 1200 and 3000 in an oval callout symbol... and the 1200 callout is subnoted 25. To me these are feeder (wire or bus) ampacity values. Nothing about 'em says conduit. No matter what, if these are truly physically separated switchgear sections, to run conduit between them is ludicrous. Worst cases scenario, wireway. For all I know from here, it can be bus duct.

Theres a a separate legend that has the 1200 and 3000 with the associated conduit and wore size.

so what changed is now they show the xfrmr separated from the other two sections .....before they were butted together and they added the feeder tags 1200 and 3000.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Theres a a separate legend that has the 1200 and 3000 with the associated conduit and wore size.

so what changed is now they show the xfrmr separated from the other two sections .....before they were butted together and they added the feeder tags 1200 and 3000.

The original drawing was obviously incorrect because you had a 208Y/120 volt section and a 480Y/277 volt section. Now the transformer gets you from 208 to 480 volts.

Smart $

Esteemed Member

I wonder why the sections do not abut. Probably has to do with proper ventilation, perhaps transformer heat not contributing to adjacent section temperature rise. Still, [straght] conduits between switchgear sections is DEFINITELY not the way to go.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
I wonder why the sections do not abut. Probably has to do with proper ventilation, perhaps transformer heat not contributing to adjacent section temperature rise. Still, [straght] conduits between switchgear sections is DEFINITELY not the way to go.

The transformer is not switchgear construction. It is a standard Square D dry type.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
The transformer is not switchgear construction. It is a standard Square D dry type.
That's the problem with these particular drawings. Look like a riser diagram but really nothing more than a one-line. A "wannabe".

Status
Not open for further replies.