New panel box

Status
Not open for further replies.

jchilders

Had to change a panel box out on a fire restoration job because the panel cover was missing. Can anyone give me the exact nec reference where it says if can not be repaired properly it's out of compliance then it has to be replaced.

iwire

Staff member
No such rule in NEC as the NEC is an installation standard not a maintenance standard.

However the NEC requires panel covers and during the reconstruction of a fire that code be enforced.

JFletcher

Welcome to the forum. 110.12(B) doesnt read exactly what you seek, but I think that's what you're looking for. Cant find the section re: missing deadfronts; thought it was in 312 somewhere.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
IMO, NEC 110.27 requires that live parts be guarded against accidental contact so a cover is normally required. 110.3(B) requires the equipment be "APPROVED" which, in the case of a a panel, would normally requires listed (NRTL) equipment which would in turn necessitate a factory supplied cover.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Had to change a panel box out on a fire restoration job because the panel cover was missing. Can anyone give me the exact nec reference where it says if can not be repaired properly it's out of compliance then it has to be replaced.
Who forced the change, was it an electrical inspector or someone else?

Roger

Status
Not open for further replies.