GFCI to a boat dock

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
why would a gfci a issue on a feeder ? a 100ma gfci to protect what ?

The feeder is what is protected but the issue is what is plugged in at the load end. The 100 ma is code now for feeders in a mariner that give power to boat slips. These boats have sleeping quarters, kitchens etc and it appears the equipment is not manufactured to run on gfci unless it is 100 ma. At least this is what the boat company told my client.

So we protect a feeder at 100 ma yet we know that 4-6 ma is what we need to protect people so I don't get it...

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I would be cautious here. Not sure why you are installing a gfci on the feeder unless this dock qualifies under art. 553. If you use a standard gfci my guess if that you may have issues with it tripping-- depending on what you are feeding. I have a customer that has a boat that will not run on a 4-6ma nor a 30 ma gfci. He needs a 100 ma gfci which will cost a $1000 or so. If you are just feeding lights and a receptacle you may be fine
Then there is very likely something wrong with the boat and/or its shore connection. The ABYC (American Boat & Yacht Council) recommends 30 mA protection for shore power connections.

RASanders

Truth:

Truth:

I would suggest this.
30 or 100 mA is better than nothing, and is far less likely to result in someone disabling the GFCI in some way due to frustrations over them tripping.

*Any GFCI is safer than the redneck work-around

Attachments

• HeHasAPoint_compressed.jpg
    HeHasAPoint_compressed.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 1
Status
Not open for further replies.