Split Loom for Solar Wire Management

Status
Not open for further replies.

sutonimh

I've been seeing a lot of split loom like the below being used for wire protection in solar array wiring a lot recently. As an O&M contractor I'm pretty concerned about the longevity of using loom in this kind of application. Additionally I usually see the loom secured and supported using zip ties. I'm wondering if there's any case that can be made around code or best practices where split loom should not be being used in this application. I did a bit of research and couldn't find anything specific I could point to that would not permit loom to be used in this fashion, but it just looks and feels cheap and wrong to me.

Any help this forum can provide would be greatly appreciated. Example of the application I'm talking about below.

http://www.delcity.net/store/1:2/p_811415.h_811434.t_1

tchwzNa.jpg

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
The product page says "UV resistant high temperature", which is encouraging. Then it says "Tested to the equivalent of 3000 hours in the desert sun". 3000 hours in the sun is one year's exposure, and it doesn't say what it takes for the material to pass the test.
I also have my doubts about draping unsecured cables over the sharp edges of a steel c-channel.

Status
Not open for further replies.