Questions about 2015 energy code

Status
Not open for further replies.
Occupancy sensors are not required in spaces where automatic shutoff would endanger occupant safety or security. would a mechanical room containing an air handler count as an area that would endanger occupants if lighting were to automatically shut off? My assumption would be that mechanical and electrical rooms should be exempt from this what is your take?

luckylerado

Occupancy sensors are not required in spaces where automatic shutoff would endanger occupant safety or security. would a mechanical room containing an air handler count as an area that would endanger occupants if lighting were to automatically shut off? My assumption would be that mechanical and electrical rooms should be exempt from this what is your take?

I can see the hazard and could see making this argument but I would also say that good design and layout of the sensors would pretty much eliminate the problem. I wish they would exclude spaces that are not regularly occupied but then those are probably the lights that need automatic off the most.

iwire

Staff member
On one hand I do hate it when I am working in a mechanical room and the lights shut off. On the other hand many times the lights are all burned out and worthless if no automatic controls are provided.

I wish they would exclude spaces that are not regularly occupied but then those are probably the lights that need automatic off the most.

I agree, us trade guys are not good at turning out the lights on the way out.

JoeStillman

I can see the hazard and could see making this argument but I would also say that good design and layout of the sensors would pretty much eliminate the problem. I wish they would exclude spaces that are not regularly occupied but then those are probably the lights that need automatic off the most.

The layout will be a challenge because you have to take into account the massive equipment in the room. You can't just lay your coverage pattern over the floor and say you're covered. I can't imagine that ultrasonics would be any good in this kind of room either.

Status
Not open for further replies.