#1 or #1/0 Cu.

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

I have a single phase 400A service I installed on a new residence.

Out of the meter can is 2/0 thhn Cu supplying a 200A MB panel located immediately inside the dwelling.

Also out of the meter can is #1 thhn Cu supplying a 150A disconnect located immediately inside the dwelling.

From that disconnect I am traveling approx 100' via pvc pipe and 4 conductors to a main lug 150A rated panel at the opposite end of the house.

I say that the conductors traveling to the panel located at the opposite end of the house can be #1 thhn Cu.

A guy helping me out ( holds journeymens license ) says they should be 1/0.

I tell him that they don't need to be larger than what's feeding the disconnect.

He disagrees and says the #1 is only good for 130 A in that application.

Opinions please.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I have a single phase 400A service I installed on a new residence.

Out of the meter can is 2/0 thhn Cu supplying a 200A MB panel located immediately inside the dwelling.

Also out of the meter can is #1 thhn Cu supplying a 150A disconnect located immediately inside the dwelling.

From that disconnect I am traveling approx 100' via pvc pipe and 4 conductors to a main lug 150A rated panel at the opposite end of the house.

I say that the conductors traveling to the panel located at the opposite end of the house can be #1 thhn Cu.

A guy helping me out ( holds journeymens license ) says they should be 1/0.

I tell him that they don't need to be larger than what's feeding the disconnect.

He disagrees and says the #1 is only good for 130 A in that application.

Opinions please.

First off the 2/0 --- you need a 3/0 and a #1 as the table for reduction in dwelling is not applicable.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I started to write you needed 1/0 but that is only if you want the full capacity of 150 amps. As Trvor stated #1 will only give you 130 amp load but it is compliant on a 150 amp breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.