Ferromagnetic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

Can someone describe what ferromagnetic is?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For an inspector from Odenton? Sure thing. I'm from (but gone from for 35 years) Pasadena and a retired inspector myself.

Ferro meaning ferrous or containing Fe (iron).
Ferro magnetic means in the case of a relay a coil producing a magnetic field when voltage passes through it and that magnetic field moves a ferrous contact.
A ferromagnetic relay. Is that what you meant?

edit: Welcome to the forums.

Last edited:

junkhound

Occupation
EE, power electronics specialty
Hmm, interesting question from an 'inspector' ?

I'm now thinking maybe should add some definitions that a paramagnetic is a county employee who rides around in a truck with flashin' lights looking for bad relays in traffic lights; or, maybe someone who wires up the MRIs in the hospital ?

And then there is the diamagnetic, who specializes in insulin pumps ?

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
For an inspector from Odenton? Sure thing. I'm from (but gone from for 35 years) Pasadena and a retired inspector myself.

Ferro magnetic means in the case of a relay a coil producing a magnetic field when voltage passes through it and that magnetic field moves a ferrous contact.

Nickel and cobalt are also ferromagnetic.

From Wiki:

Ferromagnetism is the basic mechanism by which certain materials (such as iron) form permanent magnets, or are attracted to magnets.

Only a few substances are ferromagnetic. The common ones are iron, nickel, cobalt and most of their alloys, some compounds of rare earth metals, and a few naturally-occurring minerals such as lodestone.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Ferromagnetism, in physics, is the property of a material which causes an externally applied magnetic field to cause a (usually substantially) greater magnetic field inside the substance.
It is often, but not always, associated with the ability to form permanent magnets.
The magnetic field in the gap of an iron core relay is much stronger than the field generated by the coil alone.

DEW202001

I'm now thinking maybe should add some definitions that a paramagnetic is a county employee who rides around in a truck with flashin' lights looking for bad relays in traffic lights; or, maybe someone who wires up the MRIs in the hospital ?

Well my bad for not knowing and being a 'inspector'

I was reading the NEC ARTICLE 426 Fixed Outdoor Electric Deicing and Snow-Melting Equipment because I am dealing with some heat trace and came across ferromagnetic ground section.

DEW202001

I was reading ARTICLE 426 Fixed Outdoor Electric Deicing and Snow-Melting Equipment and did not understand the ferromagnetic envelope it talking about in ground section of 426.

user 100

Well my bad for not knowing and being a 'inspector'

I was reading the NEC ARTICLE 426 Fixed Outdoor Electric Deicing and Snow-Melting Equipment because I am dealing with some heat trace and came across ferromagnetic ground section.

I doubt it's anything personal-they're just messing with you.:)

Are you talking specifically about the skin effect article of 426.40 and grounding the ferro magnetic envelope per 426.44?

Status
Not open for further replies.