Grounding and Bonding Branch Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Below alternate asked for. Can anyone shed some light onexactly what the wiring delta would be wiring “wise”. Obviously wiring per codewould be cheaper than providing a grounding conductor. What does meaPlanned onwiring branch with a mix of MC and pipe & wire.

“Deduct cost to provide grounding and bonding of branchcircuits in accordance with code requirements in lieu of providing a groundingconductor.”

Thanks.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Sounds like they'll allow you to use a metallic raceway or cable that qualifies as an EGC in lieu of a wire type EGC to save money.

mstrlucky74

Sounds like they'll allow you to use a metallic raceway or cable that qualifies as an EGC in lieu of a wire type EGC to save money.

I agree. so the spec should read to pull a separate EGC for branch circuits...I would think? So if I was pulling a single circuit MC Cable it would contain 1H,1N,1G & 1EGC???

Last edited:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
I agree. so the spec should read to pull a separate EGC for branch circuits...I would think? So if I was pulling a single circuit MC Cable it would contain 1H,1N,1G & 1EGC???
MC cable automatically includes a wire EGC.

If you were running EMT, it'd simply be 1H, 1N in the EMT. The EMT would be the EGC.

mstrlucky74

ok it wouldn't change anything for branch circuits run in MC cable correct? homeruns them wouldn't need any ground as the conduit would serve as the ground?
thanks guys.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
ok it wouldn't change anything for branch circuits run in MC cable correct? homeruns them wouldn't need any ground as the conduit would serve as the ground?
thanks guys.
Only if you're using MCAP, but as Smart said, MC already has an insulated EGC.

Roger

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
Right so there would be no deduct for circuits run in MC ...it would only apply to pipe and wire.

Or MCap which uses the jacket as the EGC. For a standard MCap 2-wire cable you would have 33% less terminations at every junction box, panel etc.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Only if you're using MCAP, but as Smart said, MC already has an insulated EGC.

Roger

Or MCap which uses the jacket as the EGC. For a standard MCap 2-wire cable you would have 33% less terminations at every junction box, panel etc.

Right so there would be no deduct for circuits run in MC ...it would only apply to pipe and wire.
Roughly correct. MCAP saves approximately 30% on time (so Southwire states) but costs almost 30% more than regular MC. I'm sure someone, somewhere has done the real math... but I don't see there being any major cost advantage.

Status
Not open for further replies.