Hypothetical question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kwired

Electron manager
I cannot find that section help please.
400.8(6) specifically mentions raceways, but also says except as otherwise permitted in this code, so there must be some limited cases where it can be in raceway, though I can't think of any.

Many of the items not permitted in 400.8 would be touched if you ran SO in place of NM cable in a typical dwelling.

SO would normally be more expensive then NM cable anyway so I don't see that great of a desire to use such a method as the main wiring method of the entire dwelling. But you occasionally have those that somehow end up with a bunch of cord or specific use cable and think they can save a lot of money by using it.

user 100

SO would normally be more expensive then NM cable anyway so I don't see that great of a desire to use such a method as the main wiring method of the entire dwelling. But you occasionally have those that somehow end up with a bunch of cord or specific use cable and think they can save a lot of money by using it.

And the so would work fine for a while, until it dries out, cracks and becomes dangerous.:D

Many an so cord draped across an attic has crumbled by merely pulling on it.:happyyes:

JFletcher

I cannot find that section help please.

Same section; cannot be used as a substitute to fixed wiring in a structure. You also cant conceal it, staple it to the bldg, or used where subject to damage.

I havent looked recently, but 400.8 aside, I'd bet that mfg of so type cable mention not being able to install it in similar ways, so that would be a 110.3(B) violation.

Your original question sounds like something a boss might ask, looking to see if you know the code, and the exceptions, most (if any) of which would fall into article 590.

You can't substitute NM cable with SO cable, but you can use SO cable inside a conduit. Sounds like a big waste of money using SO cable in a conduit instead of THHN or similar wire though.

For swimming pools and fountains, all niche lights have SO cords inside a PVC conduit. I also specify several other types or cords inside PVC conduit, depending on the application.

kwired

Electron manager
You can't substitute NM cable with SO cable, but you can use SO cable inside a conduit. Sounds like a big waste of money using SO cable in a conduit instead of THHN or similar wire though.

For swimming pools and fountains, all niche lights have SO cords inside a PVC conduit. I also specify several other types or cords inside PVC conduit, depending on the application.
That may be one of the "except as otherwise permitted in this code" instances, otherwise as a general rule flexible cord is not permitted in raceways.

domnic

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
flexible cord

flexible cord

That may be one of the "except as otherwise permitted in this code" instances, otherwise as a general rule flexible cord is not permitted in raceways.

As a general rule flexible cord IS permitted in a raceway but not all raceways .

user 100

One of the exceptions seems to be 400.14

As a general rule flexible cord IS permitted in a raceway but not all raceways .

I agree w/ Kwired-All the stuff listed in 400.8 seems awfully general to me- the "uses not permitted" encompasses most common installations and gives the impression that cord is not permitted in conduit is more the rule than the exception.

Going by your original perimeters and the question is it permitted and the answer to that is if it does not meet the above exception (it can't- a house isn't an industrial location:p) or any other listed in the NEC, it is not.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member

No.

As a general rule cord is prohibited from raceways unless specifically permitted.

400.8 Uses Not Permitted. Unless specifically permitted
in 400.7, flexible cords and cables shall not be used for the
following:

(6) Where installed in raceways, except as otherwise permitted
in this Code

There is no permission anywhere in the code to run cord in a raceway for the circuits in a home.

Based on the responses to my response, I would definitely not run SO in a conduit for any house load wiring. Even if you have a swimming pool with niche lights, the end of the SO cord terminates at a outdoor junction box several inches above pool water level, then a home run (without SO cord) terminates at the pool lighting controller. So SO cord wouldn't even go inside the house if the home contained the pool lighting controller.

JFletcher

If it is a low voltage wiring usually 12v or 24v and not line voltage 110v or 240v wiring, rated wiring may not be required from transformers to outlets.

Although there are some exceptions for 1 and 2 family dwellings, the cable/wiring must also be rated for in-wall use, even v/d/v and class 2/3 wiring.

Even if using SO was kosher, why do it? It's more expensive than equivalent sized NM and terminating stranded wire directly onto device screws leaves a bit to be desired imo.

That said, my grandparents used an extension cord (with a 3 to 2 prong 'cheater plug') to power the heat trace in the crawlspace for a good 30 years, thru the dining room window no less. Aside from the slack being hopelessly entangled in ivy roots, and 5' of it being exposed to the elements, weed eaters, kids, etc, it had no marked deterioration. and I've seen a plethora of shallowly buried extension cords running fountain pumps, Halloween and Christmas lights, and the like. Not that any of that is legal, but it does work.

The bigger problem imo is that someone who would use SO as permanent wiring probably commits all sorts of other violations, like this video shows.

http://gizmodo.com/5782529/is-this-the-worlds-worst-home-wiring-job-ever

But, it works, right? :happysad:

Status
Not open for further replies.