Outbuilding at residence

Status
Not open for further replies.

nizak

What is the correct way to figure a load calc for an outbuilding at a residence?

Would lighting for instance be figured by the actual amp draw per fixture?

Wall receptacles A Volt amp value figured by sq footage of area they are installed in?

A kitchen area. Small appliance circuits, range, dishwasher, etc like in a dwelling?

125/250 V 50amp. RV receptacle. -Figure at 100%. i.e 12000 Watts?

Thanks.

iwire

Staff member
If it has a kitchen and a bathroom and a bedroom -- it IS a residence, so just figure it like a dwelling unit.

Sounds right to me.

Dwelling Unit. A single unit, providing complete and independent
living facilities for one or more persons, including
permanent provisions for living, sleeping, cooking, and
sanitation.

So all the required outlets, GFCIs and AFCIs have to be provided.

nizak

It has a kitchen and a bathroom that account for approximately 350 sq ft, no bedrooms.

The rest, approximately 4500 sq ft is open with 1 area 150 sq ft for a work area. Work bench, etc.

Receptacles are place around the entire perimeter, and overhead lighting in the main area is LED low bay fixtures.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
With a kitchen and a bathroom who are they trying to kid? Just because that area isn't being used for bedrooms now doesn't mean that the owner won't as soon as the tax assessor drives away. :happyyes:

-Hal

On this type of matter, I wire according to use, the large "unused" area is figured as the plans or owner states the intended use, such as for tools, welders, machinery etc . We are not responsible if they do not use it accordingly to what they tell us.

kwired

Electron manager
We have customers with 200 X 100 out buildings. Kitchen, bath, and big cozy couch for sleeping. Doesn't make it a dwelling in any sense. Wasn't intended. Can't do squat about what it may be in the future.
Same here. They also have 25-30 foot ceilings and park farm machinery in them. They typically call it the shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.