Can a 200A breaker feed 100A RV panels loop-fed

Status
Not open for further replies.

donw

You've probably seen the 100A RV panels that have 50/2, 30/1, and 20/1 breakers and respective 50A, 30A, and 20A receptacles. These panels have "loop lugs" which allow them to be daisy-chain wired from panel to panel. An electrician would like to loop feed multiple panels from a 200A breaker using 200A wire. My concern is that the lugs of the panels are only rated at 100A (although they can accept 350kcmil wire) and would not be adequately protected with a 200A breaker. Opinions?

jap

Occupation
Electrician
You've probably seen the 100A RV panels that have 50/2, 30/1, and 20/1 breakers and respective 50A, 30A, and 20A receptacles. These panels have "loop lugs" which allow them to be daisy-chain wired from panel to panel. An electrician would like to loop feed multiple panels from a 200A breaker using 200A wire. My concern is that the lugs of the panels are only rated at 100A (although they can accept 350kcmil wire) and would not be adequately protected with a 200A breaker. Opinions?

He's probably utilizing the tap rule.
With that being said, the number of multiple panels that are going to be fed will need to be calculated.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Check the panel's ampere rating. It should be listed. My bet is they are listed for 200 or more amps, only would make sense.

It probably is a 100 amp rated power outlet like the OP mentioned. The 3 breakers inside that panel limit the load to that.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
The only ones I see are rated at 100A or 125A. That being said, can you feed them with a 200A breaker?

As long as the breakers that you mentioned are in the Power Outlet, Yes.

JAP>

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I doubt the lugs are only rated at 100A if they accept wire as large as 350 kcm. I seem to recall the connector standard requires that they be able to take the full ampacity of whatever wire is attached to them.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
I would have to agree that if your feed thru lugs will accept 350 mcm the 100 or 125 amp listing is for the buss/panel section of the rv pedestal not the feed thru section ( and I to agree it can be confusing that it is not typically listed ).
Having done some RV parks once demand factors are considered it's not uncommon to be able to daisy chain up to 8 or 9 if memory serves me right for a pedestal with 50/30/20 on a 200 amp feeder.

Status
Not open for further replies.