Estimate doublecheck

Status
Not open for further replies.

user 100

Can anyone give me a short estimate "regardless of local" for removing wire & rewiring 700 sqft home, replacing panel, meter, mast, service wire installing plugs switches lighting. Lighting provided.

Sorry, but even with "regardless of local", your leaving out pertinent details.:)

An estimate for what? Cost of materials? Are you only wiring by/to code minimum and if so, for what year? How is house constructed? etc....

iwire

Staff member
Sorry, but even with "regardless of local", your leaving out pertinent details.:)

An estimate for what? Cost of materials? Are you only wiring by/to code minimum and if so, for what year? How is house constructed? etc....

Is it gutted? Is it empty?

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
I am 5'11" tall. I don't consider myself short so no estimate from me. :)

700 SF is a small house. a lot of places it is skirting the minimum SF required.

JFletcher

Is it gutted? Is it empty?

Probably the most important detail here. I would guess since he asked about removal of existing wire, something not required, that it is gutted to the studs.

How many ceiling fans, can lights, what code cycle he is on (for # of AFCI), what amp service he wants, does the POCO allow overhead service anymore, how tight is the crawlspace/attic, is the kitchen layout finalized, etc etc etc.

If it is gutted to the studs, demo shouldnt take more than a few hours, and new wiring would go in pretty quickly. If it's not and wire has to be fished everywhere, that has a pretty significant impact on price.

Sorry yes the walls are gutted the cieling is not and the crawl is 3' to 6' a split between the two. The service is 100a and upgrading to 150a because an AC is being installed. The code is 2009. The service is overhead. Lighting provided already. Three ceiling fans, one vanity, one combo fan/light, one t8. I'm really just curious where I'm at with panel/meter, demo rough-in

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Sorry yes the walls are gutted the cieling is not and the crawl is 3' to 6' a split between the two. The service is 100a and upgrading to 150a because an AC is being installed. The code is 2009. The service is overhead. Lighting provided already. Three ceiling fans, one vanity, one combo fan/light, one t8. I'm really just curious where I'm at with panel/meter, demo rough-in

I think you meant code edition is 2008. (I'm in Tn also)

It's too hard to give an estimate without seeing it and knowing your costs etc.

If you've wired many houses I would simply look at what it took to do a similar size house. Then because of extra difficulties such as removing wire and working with a closed ceiling, I would add that as extras to what a similar size new construction home would cost.

Not advocating a square foot price but if you've done enough of the same type houses you could get a square foot price then add some to that.
ie;
normal per sq ft = 7.00
difficulty factor = 2.00
New sq ft price = 9.00

This is just an example and the numbers are just made up.

Probably, other than T&M, if you could get a count on each device, whether 120V or 240V, higher amp draw devices (40, 50, 60A), amount of wire, etc. IOW, do a take off, that would be the best.
Figure time to do it and get your price for materials, add you MU & profit, then price it!

My local city code is 2009, and I'm estimating total supplies & permits to be close to $1300. But I wasn't really trying to go for a time material estimate. I am trying to a "general" estimate By the size of home by square footage vs what I have per the opening. The difficulty level isn't that bad like I said the walls are open and the crawl is huge.

growler

I am trying to a "general" estimate By the size of home by square footage vs what I have per the opening.

Don't even try square footage on a small job like this. You still have all the harder areas to do. Kitchen, bath, laundry and don't forget the service. As a house gets bigger they add more bedrooms, game rooms and weight rooms and other easy to finish rooms ( if they don't need recessed lights ).

Your estimate will sound high when compaired to a square foot price but it will be a lot closer to whats needed.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
Are you saying your city writes their own electrical code?

Roger

Maybe Gus will chime in later, but it's my understanding that the state (TN) adopts the NEC statewide with their own amendments, and all the state is under the same edition of the code, which currently is the 2008.

qcroanoke

Sometimes I don't know if I'm the boxer or the bag
Occupation
Sorta retired........
Tennessee is on the IBC, 2009 version for two more weeks when they go the 2012 version.

This is what PFS Corporation is listing for Tennessee as of 6/17/16.
TENNESSEE
2006 International Residential Code for One and Two Family
Dwellings
2008 National Electrical Code with Amendments
2006 International Energy Conservation Code
2006 International Fuel Gas Code
2006 International Plumbing Code
Safety Glazing Materials, TN Code Ann., Title 68, Chapter 120, Part
3, (TN Code Ann. §68-120-301, et seq.), where applicable

Status
Not open for further replies.