PVC leaving C1D1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Pike

Can I install Sch 40 pvc from a sewer manhole 4ft underground without encasement and transition to Rigid for the last two feet and install a seal? I've read 501.10 over and over and cant tell if 514.8 and 515.8 apply to my application. I'm thinking no because they apply to Motor Fuel and Spray applications. Then I read the FPN and it states that "This exception applies to other occupancies that have been classified as Class I, Division 1 locations." but I cant find where it applies to my installation.

Thanks for the help.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Articles 514 and 515 do not apply to the installation as you have described it. By the way, Article 515 is for bulk storage facilities, not spray applications.

The FPN that you referred to doesn't ring a bell with me either. It would be highly unusual for the location you have described for the PVC raceway to be Division 1. Typically, underground, as opposed to an open space below grade, would not be classified at all.

Al Pike

Articles 514 and 515 do not apply to the installation as you have described it. By the way, Article 515 is for bulk storage facilities, not spray applications.

The FPN that you referred to doesn't ring a bell with me either. It would be highly unusual for the location you have described for the PVC raceway to be Division 1. Typically, underground, as opposed to an open space below grade, would not be classified at all.

The FPN I was referencing was in the 2016 edition in blue. There's a open flume manhole that is having a transducer installed. I ended up using coated rigid all the way stubbing 12in out of the ground for the seal. I was just curious if just PVC could be used without encasement being the ground as you stated was not classified but the manhole it was leaving is.

FPN- "The sections covering the use of rigid nonmetallic conduits in underground locations per 514.8, Exception No. 2, and 515.8 do not require concrete
encasement. Those requirements are for specific occupancies where there has been considerable experience with underground nonmetallic conduit. This exception applies to other occupancies that have been classified as Class I, Division 1 locations."

Just what does, "applies to other occupancies" refer to then?

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I went back to the 1999 code and cannot find any FPN for 514.8. You talked about "blue text". That is typically the color of the commentary in NFPA's NEC handbook and is not part of the code. It is just opinion, and no more valid that the opinions you will find posted on this forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.