Building service for future genset option

Status
Not open for further replies.

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Wanted to get some opinions on this.

I need to build a service with an option for a future generator; I say future but I'm 99% certain the customer will opt for it. They always do.

My plan initially was to set a 400A 120/240 meter base, and hang 2x QOM2 200A disconnects off the side that feed 2x 200A MLO load centers. From one load center, I would install a 125A breaker and go back outside to a 3R enclosure that would end up being replaced with a transfer switch, set a terminal block inside, then go back inside to a 125A MCB load center.

See attached picture for the setup I'm planning on.

What I'm thinking now though is to just set a trough under the meter base and hit three main disconnects instead for power to all three load centers; use one 200A MLO and two 125A MLO load centers. I think we could cut some dollars off by eliminating one of the 125A breakers and the additional SER cables. Also it would avoid me having to squeeze that additional SER cable in that 200A load center.

Thoughts? What would you prefer if left up to you?

dc627a4a844eadac1f3fde185ba94cbd.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

brantmacga

Señor Member
Occupation
Former Child
Well that's what i was leaning towards, but poco engineer came out today and refused our proposed meter location outside the mechanical room. So it's option 1.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
Well that's what i was leaning towards, but poco engineer came out today and refused our proposed meter location outside the mechanical room. So it's option 1.

Did s/he elaborate or say something like "I just don't like it"?

Status
Not open for further replies.