Two wire receptacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
I was trying to think of what can be used. Here are some things I came up with, please correct me if I am wrong:

Guitar amplifier
Portable fan
12 volt power supply for two way radios
Microwave oven
Television
Stereo
Vacuum cleaners
Lamp, except for portable handlamps

Question: Are personal computers and their peripherals considered 'IT equipment'?

user 100

One reason to install a three wire receptacle with no EGC is that it is very hard to find a tamper resistant two wire receptacle.

If under the 2014 this is a non issue- see 406.12 exception(4):

"Nongrounding receptacles used as replacements as permitted in 406.4(D)(2)(A)"- TR requirement doesn't apply.

Last edited:

JFletcher

So, in a house like mine, that has 2 wire cloth NM pretty much everywhere, and 2 wire receptacles... fridge has a 3 wire plug going to adapter... existing receptacle burns up/becomes too loose to hold plug... HO calls one of you guys to replace... what do you do? Keep in mind VA only has AFCI requirements for bedrooms of residences and residential is under the 2012 IRC with amendments... but for ease of discussion, say it was under the 2014 NEC with no amendments.

Fun starts in 3....2.....1.......

what is equivalent to double insulation? (see first exception in 250.114)

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
So, in a house like mine, that has 2 wire cloth NM pretty much everywhere, and 2 wire receptacles... fridge has a 3 wire plug going to adapter... existing receptacle burns up/becomes too loose to hold plug... HO calls one of you guys to replace... what do you do? Keep in mind VA only has AFCI requirements for bedrooms of residences and residential is under the 2012 IRC with amendments... but for ease of discussion, say it was under the 2014 NEC with no amendments.

Fun starts in 3....2.....1.......

what is equivalent to double insulation? (see first exception in 250.114)

The person that gets the job will probably either replace with a two wire receptacle, or a GFCI, preferably with an audible alarm.

The cord end may also have to be repaired if there was enough burning of up.

Status
Not open for further replies.