Free-Air Control Cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

mstrlucky74

Trying to determine of the 0-10v control signal wiring going into the OT DIM module needs to be in conduit. Guess I need to find out if it's class 1 or 2, correct? Thanks

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    71.9 KB · Views: 2

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Use only 0-10V controllers, DO NOT USE Single Pole or 3-way type controllers.
• USE ONLY with Constant Voltage power supplies.
• LED load controlled by OT DIM should be limited to 97W at 24V and 47W at 10V. Appropriate Constant Voltage power supply required.
• OT DIM control circuit is Class II rated.
• Avoid Mounting on Wood.

... The dimmer is technically the power supply for the dimmer circuit(s)

No it's not.

Thanks. So class 1 and 2 ckts can be run free air without conduit, correct?

No. Class 2 and Class 3 can be run without conduit. Class 1 requires a Chapter 3 wiring method so that would mean conduit or another wiring method same as power and light.

-Hal

iwire

Staff member
The dimmer is technically the power supply for the dimmer circuit(s),

Not in my experience.

Fir instance if you short the dimmer connections at the driver the LEDs drop to the low dim output. This is without a dimmer connected at all.

Open circuit = full bright, closed circuit = full dim.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
... The dimmer is technically the power supply for the dimmer circuit(s), and will likely be Class 2... but you have to check to be certain.

• OT DIM control circuit is Class II rated.

... The dimmer is technically the power supply for the dimmer circuit(s)

No it's not.
As I said, and you excluded, "you have to check to be certain." Stating the OT DIM module is Class II rated is no guarantee the control circuit is Class 2. Note Class II refers to a hazardous location category.

Not in my experience.

Fir instance if you short the dimmer connections at the driver the LEDs drop to the low dim output. This is without a dimmer connected at all.

Open circuit = full bright, closed circuit = full dim.
After some checking, that is correct.

"Notes:
1. OTDIM may be controlled by 1-10Vdc controllers, 1-10V converters, or 100k Ohm linear potentiometers.
2. The OTDIM has two dependent channel outputs (internally, these channels are in parallel). The sum of the loads from the channel outputs must not exceed the maximum output of the OTDIM (52.5W at 10V and 120W at 24V)."

https://www.e-barnett.com/ProductDocument/10142/SX-0718438_SpecSheet.pdf

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Stating the OT DIM module is Class II rated is no guarantee the control circuit is Class 2. Note Class II refers to a hazardous location category.

Come on. A little common sense here. Either the translation from Chinese wasn't perfect or the engineer who wrote that spec sheet had no idea Class 2 and Class II mean different things. At any rate, thinking that the control wiring for this kind of device is listed for use in a hazardous location is absurd.

And YES, the OP should have cut and spec sheets for EVERYTHING he is estimating for a job.

-Hal

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Come on. A little common sense here. ...
I've been around long enough to know making assumptions in electrical applications can get you in trouble quicker than ____ . Fill in the blank with any word or words at your "common sense" discretion.

I'm not going to say I'm experienced with 0-10V LED lighting control (because I am not :D)... but I can say I am experienced with electrical control circuits. In fact to the degree that I've worked in control rooms on control circuits of nuclear power plants. Suffice it to say I've run into control circuits with two different power supply Classes. Based solely on the wiring diagram on the spec' sheet I linked to in my earlier post, this system is a likely candidate. At that point of understanding the control system, one should prove otherwise and make no assumption in the process.

Are we clear?

iwire

Staff member
I'm not going to say I'm experienced with 0-10V LED lighting control (because I am not :D)... but I can say I am experienced with electrical control circuits.

Are you aware that the 0-10 volt dimming is not the same as 0-10 volt industrial controls? At least the equipment I have been installing. This is major brand stuff.

In fact to the degree that I've worked in control rooms on control circuits of nuclear power plants. Suffice it to say I've run into control circuits with two different power supply Classes. Based solely on the wiring diagram on the spec' sheet I linked to in my earlier post, this system is a likely candidate. At that point of understanding the control system, one should prove otherwise and make no assumption in the process.

Are we clear?

A bit dramatic. :D

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Are you aware that the 0-10 volt dimming is not the same as 0-10 volt industrial controls? At least the equipment I have been installing. This is major brand stuff.
I suspected as much...
...even when evaluating it as Class II rated. ;)

BTW I've always considered Sylvania a major player in the lighting industry.

A bit dramatic. :D
I had nothing better to do at the time. :blink::p

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.