photocell problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghelec

A friend of mine has a mercury vapor light,he thinks is 1000 watt that is photocell controlled. He has changed the photocell out several times because it will start staying on in daytime. He said photocells are rated for 15.6 amps and light is pulling 13 amps approximately. Any suggestions as to what is causing the photocells to fail would be appreciated.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Re: photocell problem

How often is this happening?

What is the voltage at the light when it's on? Could voltage drop be damaging the photocells, maybe?

I think they're usually rated for 1800W, the light shouldn't be too much for the photoeye to handle.

charlie

Most of the 1000 WMV lights are not PE controlled but the PE control has to be mounted separately. Is this a TL type of PE control or a button type. If it is not a TL type, it will not generally hold the load. If it is TL type, the normal rating is 1800 W, like george said (I believe) and the problem is somewhere else (maybe a bad batch of TL controls). :D

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Like a butter knife. :)
Originally posted by charlie:
Most of the 1000 WMV lights are not PE controlled but the PE control has to be mounted separately. Is this a TL type of PE control or a button type.
What's a "TL" type? "1000 WMV"? I know what a button is... :D

charlie

TL is twist lock, 1000 WMV is 1000 watt mercury vapor. Sorry, and I complain about other people using abbreviations. :D

ghelec

Sorry it took so long to get back. The voltage is 120 to ground,changed to different style photocell because thought had a bad batch and light worked for several days whereas it had not been working right the next day. After several days it started staying on during day too. Wattage on them is 1800 as George stated. Would it make any difference if he wired it 240?

charlie tuna

i have had the same problem and i try to use photo cells rated at near twice the rated wattage of the lamp to handle the starting current of the fixture. the initial starting current is high and the photo cell's contacts can not stand up to this. this is why we see many installations with photo controlled lighting contactors.

physis

By Charlie:

George, for "just a residential wireman", you sure are sharp. :D
George is pretty sharp for a 15 year veteran. I'm continually raising an eyebrow wondering how he has such a good handle things. :cool:

69boss302

Yeah George is bright, I think it's because he stays up late into the night figuring out if it's OK to switch not only dinning room outlets but any of them he can :p

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by ghelec:
Would it make any difference if he wired it 240?
:D
George is pretty sharp for a 15 year veteran. I'm continually raising an eyebrow wondering how he has such a good handle things. :D

I think it's because he stays up late into the night figuring out if it's OK to switch not only dinning room outlets but any of them he can :D

hurk27

ghelec
The 1800w rating is for resistance loads if you look on the photo cell it should say something like 1800 watt tungsten, 1000 watt ballast.
For a 1000 watt HID fixture if you add the ballast wattage to the lamp wattage you will be over the rating of the photocell. You need a relay type photocell as a thermo type will not take the extra wattage.

An Intermatic 1121 should be effective in solving your problem. It has a 1800 watt rating for both tungsten and ballast.

Edit to add that you cannot use a thermo type photocell if your ballast is connected to 240 volts and the photocell is a 120 volts, If it is a relay type it can be done but you must connect the neutral from the photocell to a supply neutral. the other hot will go straight to the ballast. Not a good design though.

[ May 06, 2005, 07:04 PM: Message edited by: hurk27 ]

physis

You think I can't use the minus symbol wire boy?

Now you're only as a good as a 12 year veteran. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.