Anti-seize compound on outdoor breaker lugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
As a general rule no unless it's part of the manufacturer's instructions that are part of the equipment listing.

storeytime

If you do that and then torque to the specification, you will likely break the breaker.

Thank you. That was my thought exactly. We just finished terminating and torqueing 30 switch gear, each with twelve, 3P breakers. We didn't use anti-seize. We're working under another EC. who thought it was required.

Last edited:

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
If you do that and then torque to the specification, you will likely break the breaker.

Why do you say that? It will lube the threads allowing you to get there easier but the torque is the torque. Unless you overshoot because it turns so easy. ETA: Or are you saying that the torque spec accounts for dry threads?

To the OP's question, no. It was never required or even recommended to be applied to screw threads, only the AL conductors.

Only exception might be the threads on AL rigid conduit.

-Hal

Reactions: jap

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Why do you say that? It will lube the threads allowing you to get there easier but the torque is the torque. Unless you overshoot because it turns so easy. ETA: Or are you saying that the torque spec accounts for dry threads?

To the OP's question, no. It was never required or even recommended to be applied to screw threads, only the AL conductors.

-Hal
Torque specs for fasteners (nuts on bolts, lug nuts on car wheels, etc.) typically are set to produce the desired linear force on the bearing surfaces assuming the friction of dry threads is contributing to the measured torque.
Torque on pipe joints, OTOH, is often not specified, but the "feel" assumes lubricated threads as well as the increasing thread force from tapered threads.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician

-Hal
Yes I am saying that the torque spec is based on dry threads, and putting lubrication on the threads will result in greater contact pressure and may damage the lug and/or conductor.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC

-Hal
Torque is torque but the pressure put on the lug and the conductor will be greater if there is less friction in the threads. This is also true when engine building. They will specify torque with and without additives.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
On engine building you have a fixed threaded port that the bolts are threading into, unlike a breaker or meter lugs which are in themselves a bolted connection to the device.

I've yet to torque a lug on a breaker, Panel or meterbase with a torque wrench to spec without feeling like It's fixing to break completely off even with the aid of a wrench to keep the lugs from twisting.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
A lug seizing in the dry threads will most likely do more damage whether it happens when you're tightening or loosening.

Lugs if aluminum tends to gall the threads. It's just in it's nature.

The whole point is to try and keep that from happening.

I too am in the camp that applies anti-ox to the threads for lubrication whether required or not.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Yes I am saying that the torque spec is based on dry threads, and putting lubrication on the threads will result in greater contact pressure and may damage the lug and/or conductor.

That's really hard for me to wrap my head around.

JAP>

jap

Occupation
Electrician
At least lubricant tends to deafen that SCREEEEEAAAAAACCCCHCHHHHHHHH,,,,,,SRECHH,,,,SCRR,,,, you tend to get when you're only 3/4's of the way of having the terminal anywhere near close to the torque spec. :)

JAP>

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
That's really hard for me to wrap my head around.

JAP>
Visualize driving a wedge into a tapered slot between two pieces of metal while you measure the clamping force required to hold the two pieces together.
If the wedge is ideally lubricated the relation between the driving force on the wedge and the spreading force on the pieces depends only on the wedge angle.
If the wedge and the two pieces of metal have sandpaper glued to their surfaces, the spreading force for any given force applied to the wedge will be far lower.

For this purpose a screw thread is simply a long wedge wrapped in a spiral.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
It is, but depending on the lug design, either the screw or the lug box is in tension. That’s where the stretch comes into play.
But the relationship between the elongation and the torque required is still strongly dependent on the thread friction.
Your point is well taken if instead of measuring torque you specify "finger tight plus N turns". That is independent of thread friction.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.