50 Amp Single Pole Breaker

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpcarls1598

Master Electrician
Occupation
Master Electrician
I’ve used them in commercial kitchens a handful of times in over 30 years... Mostly on warming or serving carts. Not sure why they provide them that way but possibly more compatible with voltages for single or three phase. Everything we order must be spec‘d 208V. since many pieces are available also in 240v. Maybe allows them to stock fewer versions???

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I’ve used them in commercial kitchens a handful of times in over 30 years... Mostly on warming or serving carts. Not sure why they provide them that way but possibly more compatible with voltages for single or three phase. Everything we order must be spec‘d 208V. since many pieces are available also in 240v. Maybe allows them to stock fewer versions???
Could be, its like clothes dryers, the drum motor is 120, but the heating elements are 208/240, where if the motor was 240, and used on say, an apartment building or condo that has three phase, 208 would be sufficient for the heating elements, but not the motor. Probably the same way with the warming drawers, 240 would be too hot with a 208 element, or a 240 volt element would not get hot enough on 208, so 120 volt elements would work on both systems.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
Recall one supplying a UPS and another supplying a food vending truck (he also had a gnerator with 120v output so it worked out better for him)
(I've seen one or two where they don't belong.. eliminating pesky tripping on 20 amp circuits :giggle: )

kwired

Electron manager
For an individual branch circuit, the need maybe not that great.

For a feeder breaker when there is only 120 volts available - might still be able to find 2 pole breaker easier and probably just use one pole but single pole would be a valid option.

Used to be a lot of old farm outbuildings or even residential outbuildings with only 120 volt supplied to them. Often they had fuse panels, but have upgraded a few over the years to breaker panels. How to deal with 120/240 rated panel when there is only 120 available, there is usually a few options. Single pole 50 as a main could be one option and put a jumper between main lugs to tie both buses together.

kwired

Electron manager
😮 I thought "proper procedure" for those occasionally tripping 20 amp circuits was a 30 not a 50!? I've got a single 70 laying around for those very troublesome circuits.
I see that a lot with Square D breakers, partly because they have low magnetic trip for 15 and 20 amp single pole standard breakers. DIY owner goes to big box or local hardware store and finds a single pole 30 and fixes their problem. Often is is the low magnetic trip function and a power tool that has high starting current and if one would install a 15 or 20 amp "high magnetic" breaker it will hold when starting that tool. But they don't generally have those at the big box or local hardware stores.

ADD: that low magnetic trip is IMO more effective at accomplishing many the goals that AFCI's have as well as doing it with less nuisance trips.

hillbilly1

Occupation
I see that a lot with Square D breakers, partly because they have low magnetic trip for 15 and 20 amp single pole standard breakers. DIY owner goes to big box or local hardware store and finds a single pole 30 and fixes their problem. Often is is the low magnetic trip function and a power tool that has high starting current and if one would install a 15 or 20 amp "high magnetic" breaker it will hold when starting that tool. But they don't generally have those at the big box or local hardware stores.

ADD: that low magnetic trip is IMO more effective at accomplishing many the goals that AFCI's have as well as doing it with less nuisance trips.
Yeah, had that problem last year with a hydraulic press, it worked fine on the other side of the shop, then they moved it over next to the service, and it would trip the breaker every time. Plugged it into a 100' extension cord, it worked fine. Customer wanted to change to a 30 amp breaker for the 20 amp receptacle. Refused, ordered a QOHM120, installed, no more problem.

kwired

Electron manager
Whats the largest amp single pole breaker?
I've seen 100, maybe even 200 in old farm meter main's, but they were basically unit breakers with lug on each end and not a plug on or bolt on breaker type. Many those old meter mains had two single pole and no common trip double pole breakers in them.

kwired

Electron manager
I see high amp SP breakers in lighting panels. I had to replace a 60A in a Lutron panel. I had to order the breaker.
Where does a 60 amp come into play with lighting circuits?

50 amp lighting circuits once were more common then they probably are today. Code doesn't allow more than 50 amp for lighting branch circuits, but does have limitations on what kinds of lighting it can supply.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Where does a 60 amp come into play with lighting circuits?

50 amp lighting circuits once were more common then they probably are today. Code doesn't allow more than 50 amp for lighting branch circuits, but does have limitations on what kinds of lighting it can supply.
Probably stage lighting, multiple high wattage lamps.

norcal

Pulled 3-single pole 60A Zinsco's from a switchboard, fed a panel in a health food store juice bar that was decommissioned, someone made a handle tie out of wire.

Status
Not open for further replies.