How to post excel file as attachment, in support of question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Besoeker3

Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
This ?

LABOUR
HoursRate
Senior Engineer
Normal time
40​
£48,50​
£1.940​
Time and a half
0​
£72,75​
£0​
Double time
0​
£97,00​
£0​
Total
40​
£1.940​
£1.940​

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
This ?

LABOUR
HoursRate
Senior Engineer
Normal time
40​
£48,50​
£1.940​
Time and a half
0​
£72,75​
£0​
Double time
0​
£97,00​
£0​
Total
40​
£1.940​
£1.940​
Tell me that’s a really old sheet. Those labor rates seem way low

Besoeker3

Occupation
British Pounds are worth about $1.13 USD.

Used to be the British Pound was worth almost 1/4 ounce of gold.
Yes but I was but I was just to see if I could help the the original poster. Not currency rares.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Posting attachments like Excel and Word files can harbor worms and viruses. People should NEVER open such an attachment from any website. PDF files are much more secure, I’ve never heard of them acting as vectors for executables. So by converting your spreadsheet to a .pdf, you are making it safe for viewing.

retirede

Posting attachments like Excel and Word files can harbor worms and viruses. People should NEVER open such an attachment from any website. PDF files are much more secure, I’ve never heard of them acting as vectors for executables. So by converting your spreadsheet to a .pdf, you are making it safe for viewing.

PDF files are now capable of containing embedded active elements very similar to what can be done in a Word document. PDFs are not automatically safe.

That said, I’ve never had a problem when I download a file first, then scan it before opening. In fact, most AV software automatically scans files when downloading. I never directly open an online file, even though my AV software is supposed to protect me if I were to do so.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
You cannot attach an excel file but save the file as an excel then manually change the extension to pdf. Then let everyone know to use the spreadsheet they will have to change the file ext back to whatever it was-- xls or xlsx whatever it was

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
I'd recommend uploading it to a service such as Google Docs, and making it public. Then you can share it with nearly the same functionality it would have in its Excel form.
I agree that is the best.... The changing over as I stated may be confusing to some.

mtnelect

HVAC & Electrical Contractor
Occupation
Contractor, C10 & C20 - Semi Retired

I was told not to post PDF files, but to convert them to JPG ...

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician
I agree that is the best.... The changing over as I stated may be confusing to some.
🤔
How hard is it to change an extension? I change them all the time and change them back as you suggested.
changing the extension is a requirement to break a password protected sheet

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
🤔
How hard is it to change an extension? I change them all the time and change them back as you suggested.
changing the extension is a requirement to break a password protected sheet

It is not hard but there are many people who don't even know what a file extension is or where to find it. Remember not everyone is computer savvy

Besoeker3

Occupation
You cannot attach an excel file but save the file as an excel then manually change the extension to pdf. Then let everyone know to use the spreadsheet they will have to change the file ext back to whatever it was-- xls or xlsx whatever it was
Isn't that what I did at post 3 ?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Isn't that what I did at post 3 ?

No-- all you did was copy the spreadsheet. I am talking about saving the spreadsheet so you can have a working copy in excel. Suppose you had a spreadsheet that did the standard calculations, optional calc etc. You need to be able to plug in your own numbers and see what the load would be.

Besoeker3

Occupation
No-- all you did was copy the spreadsheet. I am talking about saving the spreadsheet so you can have a working copy in excel. Suppose you had a spreadsheet that did the standard calculations, optional calc etc. You need to be able to plug in your own numbers and see what the load would be.
Ah, OK.

Status
Not open for further replies.