Rural shirt pocket rules

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I moved to a more rural area and the amount of shirt pocket rules not even just electrical but all over the trades. It's funny but a lot of what I've been told by both other trades guys and their combo inspectors are either not backed up by the codes they think theyre citing or it'll say the opposite and they don't understand that.

What's the funniest ones you've heard? So far I've heard here.

Only greenies can be used for ground wires and again installed wrong like it was a regular wirenut

Cadet fan forced heaters should always be in the exterior wall like a baseboard

Double 5/8ths on the same side of a 2by wall is a 2hour fire wall even when it's open on the other side

That headers on load bearing walls aren't needed at all because there's no snow. Yes I have a picture and it passed framing inspection idk how.

AC\DC

Occupation
EC
I will say it’s good practice to not have heater on outside wall because of the insulation area it eats up, but I’ll throw them there if need be.
Welcome to the coast !Lol
Guy around here likes to say “ well I can’t I force it but I want it done this way” ??? That got stopped, lol
People smoke to much weed. People need to start drinking again. Lol

letgomywago

Occupation
residential electrician
I will say it’s good practice to not have heater on outside wall because of the insulation area it eats up, but I’ll throw them there if need be.
Welcome to the coast !Lol
Guy around here likes to say “ well I can’t I force it but I want it done this way” ??? That got stopped, lol
People smoke to much weed. People need to start drinking again. Lol
1000001287.jpg

Watched 2 "carpenters" spent 2 days with a Sawzall to install this door while I was roughing in a house. Their boss swings by later and thought they did good lol

TwoBlocked

Occupation
Industrial Electrician
Not sure if this is in the same category. Along with other work at an industrial facility, they hoped to put in a large 240 to 208 transformer because 208V 3 phase motor are much cheaper than 480V 3 phase motors. I pointed out that most 3 phase motor are dual phase. They looked at a nameplate, and sure enough...

drcampbell

Occupation
Registered Professional Engineer
I have often heard that automotive batteries should not be stored directly on a concrete floor, because concrete will suck the charge out of a lead-acid battery and deplete it. I've often seen batteries stored on a concrete floor with a barrier of wood or newspaper underneath them. I never did get a satisfactory answer about how the concrete could suck the charge out if it isn't in contact with they electrolyte or plates.

I do think I know where this half-truth originated: If you store a battery directly on a concrete floor -- in an unheated garage, without a maintenance charge, for two years or more -- it will go dead due to internal self-discharge. (and during the third winter, it's likely to freeze solid and self-destruct)

Todd0x1

I have often heard that automotive batteries should not be stored directly on a concrete floor, because concrete will suck the charge out of a lead-acid battery and deplete it. I've often seen batteries stored on a concrete floor with a barrier of wood or newspaper underneath them. I never did get a satisfactory answer about how the concrete could suck the charge out if it isn't in contact with they electrolyte or plates.

I do think I know where this half-truth originated: If you store a battery directly on a concrete floor -- in an unheated garage, without a maintenance charge, for two years or more -- it will go dead due to internal self-discharge. (and during the third winter, it's likely to freeze solid and self-destruct)
Here's an explanation of that myth

retirede

My dad used to tell me that one.