Breaker panel without doors

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
Is there any code against having a panel with no doors? Had a customer send me some pics and said his insurance company canceled his insurance and he needs to have doors on his panels. He has (2) indoor 100 amp panels (6 circuits) but those panels don't come with doors. He stated that it had been approved from his insurance company for several years but now someone else has taken over that insurance company and they canceled his policy. I advised he may need to consolidate into one 100 amp 20 space panel if doors were the only issue.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
There is no code against it, in fact it’s done quite often in commercial prefab electrical gear. I know of the panel type you are talking about. They may have a written policy against them, but code wise, it is fine.

curt swartz

Electrical Contractor - San Jose, CA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Send them a cut sheet for the panel. It will show doors are not used for that model. If they have an issue tell them to take it up with UL.

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
There are small panels that don’t have doors, it’s just a cover with openings.
You probably can get new cover w/doors
Send picture if possible
This is the pic the customer sent me

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240206_213907_Drive.jpg
    Screenshot_20240206_213907_Drive.jpg
    788 KB · Views: 34

frofro19

Occupation
Master Electrician
Yep, it’s Homeline, looks like a panel change is in your future if the insurance company doesn’t back down.
That's what I recommend. He is going to try to negotiate with them one more time before going that route.

tthh

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Pretty sure the 3R version of that has a cover and a door. Might be lucky and the cover just screws on without fuss.