Receptacle Location

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
I am installing a receptacle for equipment that requires 240 Volt, The location for the receptacle is right beside a 208 Volt panel that is recessed into the wall, I will be fishing down the wall to 240 receptacle beside 208 Volt panel, Everything will be labeled, Is it OK

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I am installing a receptacle for equipment that requires 240 Volt, The location for the receptacle is right beside a 208 Volt panel that is recessed into the wall, I will be fishing down the wall to 240 receptacle beside 208 Volt panel, Everything will be labeled, Is it OK

So how are you getting 240v? or does the equipment work with 208V

Eddie702

Licensed Electrician
Occupation
Electrician
If you going to wire 240 volt rated equipment on to 208 that is usually OK although you will get less output. Check the name plate and the MFG info.

But maybe I am not clear on what you are doing.

Jpflex

Electrician big leagues
Occupation
Electrician commercial and residential
Will there be a step up transformer to boost 208 to 240 volts?

Also how do many of you handle horizontal fire block studs when fishing cable through vertical drywall?

The block I’m referring to is the wood 2x4 laid horizontally between normal wall studs. Usually to penetrate through this block I find the horizontal fire block with a stud finder and cut the drywall in a small square above and below this block in order to drill a hole through this fire stop using a 90 degree paddle bit adapter and save the drywall piece for patch up. Is there another easy to do this and where in NEC does it allow such nm cable to be ran in walls without being supported and secure for installs with pre-existing drywall?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Is there another easy to do this and where in NEC does it allow such nm cable to be ran in walls without being supported and secure for installs with pre-existing drywall?
Yes, and yes.

You can usually use a flex-bit to drill through fire-stop blocking, and pull the wire with it.

1713724210438.jpeg

1713724286087.jpeg 1713724317378.jpeg

wireday

Occupation
Master electrician
If you are meaning that you have a 240v circuit and it is wired near a 208v panel then that is not an issue

Will there be a step up transformer to boost 208 to 240 volts?

Also how do many of you handle horizontal fire block studs when fishing cable through vertical drywall?

The block I’m referring to is the wood 2x4 laid horizontally between normal wall studs. Usually to penetrate through this block I find the horizontal fire block with a stud finder and cut the drywall in a small square above and below this block in order to drill a hole through this fire stop using a 90 degree paddle bit adapter and save the drywall piece for patch up. Is there another easy to do this and where in NEC does it allow such nm cable to be ran in walls without being supported and secure for installs with pre-existing drywallThis i

Hv&Lv

Occupation
Engineer/Technician

I like the way the bit is almost centered..
Mine generally drilled right on the edge of the plate.

Attachments

• IMG_1105.jpeg
    IMG_1105.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 6

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
I like the way the bit is almost centered..
Mine generally drilled right on the edge of the plate.
Try the aiming handle, or a ball.

1713747951804.jpeg 1713747963208.jpeg

1713747991119-jpeg.2571291

Attachments

• 1713747991119.jpeg
    1713747991119.jpeg
    183.3 KB · Views: 70

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
I have managed to hit the edge/corner even using the ball. What I try to do is find the opposing wall, then bend the bit to find the wall near you, then try to just scoot it enough to try for the center. I try to push down so the stinger catches and doesn't scoot, then start the drill slow until I'm sure it is feeding through.
Still, it's a crap shoot sometimes.

NE (9.06 miles @5.9 Degrees from Winged Horses)
Occupation
EC - retired
I have managed to hit the edge/corner even using the ball. What I try to do is find the opposing wall, then bend the bit to find the wall near you, then try to just scoot it enough to try for the center. I try to push down so the stinger catches and doesn't scoot, then start the drill slow until I'm sure it is feeding through.
Still, it's a crap shoot sometimes.
Yea, when it wiggles the baseboard you're not sure if that's a win or not.