4 Way dimmer switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Trovmar

Gentlemen i have a customer who wants to dim his hall lights at night. Each bedroom has a switch that can shut them off. I assume there is a 4 way somewhere. The customer only wants to dim the lights from his bedroom. Can i install just one three way dimmer in his room and it will work. I know this sounds like a simple question but i don't have much residential experience. Thanks in advance for any help.;)

ultramegabob

Trovmar said:
Gentlemen i have a customer who wants to dim his hall lights at night. Each bedroom has a switch that can shut them off. I assume there is a 4 way somewhere. The customer only wants to dim the lights from his bedroom. Can i install just one three way dimmer in his room and it will work. I know this sounds like a simple question but i don't have much residential experience. Thanks in advance for any help.;)

as long as his switch is the one of the threeways in the circuit.

mdshunk

Use one of those "communicating" 3way dimmers, and it doesn't matter how many there are. I'm thinking about Lutron Maestro, in particular.

peter d

mdshunk said:
Use one of those "communicating" 3way dimmers, and it doesn't matter how many there are. I'm thinking about Lutron Maestro, in particular.

Yeah, I agree, that's the best and easiest solution for multi location dimming.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
If he only wants to dim from his bedroom then there is no issue if that switch is a 3 way switch and not a 4 way. Problem is you have to go to that room when you want the lights brighter.

c2500

peter d said:
Actually I'm quite fond of the P&S combination receptacle/LED nightlights.

I have one of those in use downstairs. (3 years or so now) It has been great for company. I highly recommend them.

c2500

Jesse7623

It sounds like you only want to dim the lights from one location.If so, if the switch in his bedroom is a threeway you are fine with a standard dimmer, if not then you will have to use a "communicating" dimmer and replace all the switches.

Status
Not open for further replies.