Fire Pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

bwyllie

If a fire pump is installed in a low-rise bldg does this need to be connected to the generator?

robbie

Re: Fire Pump

Originally posted by bwyllie:
If a fire pump is installed in a low-rise bldg does this need to be connected to the generator?
Good question. I would check with the AHJ first.

1996 NEC Art 695-3(a)(1) seems to indicate that it is OK to supply one service to the fire pump as long as it is arranged to minimize the possiblity of damage by fire from within the premises and exposing hazard. If this can't be achieved, I beleive Art 695-4(a) comes into play.

From a safety standpoint, I would provide generator backup power to the fire pump.

bwyllie

I had sometime to do some research and MA code requires a fire pump in a high rise NOT a low-rise to be on the genrator. Thanks

bonding jumper

I have some experience designing these, things to watch out for, In sizing the generator u need a minimum of 15% voltage drop for fire pumps, that can mean a generator twice the size of a typical pump, so when u speak to the generator company for sizing, make sure they are clear that its a fire pump, and not just a regular motor. U need to use MI cable to supply the pump, keep in mind u might want to use a natural gas generator also. any other questions?

rb

I agree with Tom. If the Fire Marshall determines that the utility source is unreliable, a generator can be required for any building. Check NFPA 20.

bwyllie

thanks for the comments. Why would you recommend a gas generator over a diesel generator?

ok the natural gaz generators use the stanard natural gaz pipeline to hook up to generator verison the cost for putting a tank or subbase tank below the generator on diesel verison but really the cost between both natural gaz and diesel are not a whole alot diffrence on pricewise but check on the generator dealer for the latest scoop on price and depending on area where will use the generator some gaz compaines will put a limit on gaz useage so my best bet to check the gaz company for latest detail sometime they will allow it but the other gaz verison is propane gaz but that is diffrent matter to deal with it because have outside storage tank and the npfa and few other codes will affect it

merci marc

scrino

You may also want to verify with the AHJ if they allow natural gas generators. Not all inspectors feel nat. gas is reliable alternative.

flightline

In answer to the last few posts...As an FYI, for a required standby system, it is my understanding that natural gas is not acceptable to the Chicago Building Department. It is their contention, as I understand it, that the natural gas service can be interrupted in a disaster, but a diesel generator with [a] properly sized local tankhas a higher reliability factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.