Big lesson learned!

Status
Not open for further replies.

yanert

Please learn from my experience:

Last week I was involved in an accident at a busy intersection. It occurred around 1:00 PM. I was driving a white 4 door Ford pickup pulling a trailer and was struck while going through the intersection by a blue Chevy Cavalier.

Here are the facts. At the time of the accident, nobody stopped to see if both parties were ok. Also nobody phoned the Police Department to report the accident. Basically, there are no eyewitnesses. What is truly ironic is that this happened in the middle of the afternoon, and took place at a busy intersection. My account of the event is different from the other driver, and without eye witnesses, its purely a ?He said, She said?. Neither the police or either insurance companies can find fault. How will your insurance company represent you? My vehicle and trailer have sustained an estimated $8000.00 worth of damage. In the blink of an eye, maybe without any fault of your own, you could occur huge financial burdens!

Ironically, while dealing with this incident, I have learned that this is a very common occurrence. I guess many times eyewitnesses don?t come forward. I try to be informed about life lessons, but this one hit home really hard. With both insurance companies effectively wiping their hands clean of it, it?s my responsibility to try and find a witness. This is proving to be daunting. Both the Home Depot and Wal-Mart stores in the area have security cameras, but they don?t show the intersection. Also, I have placed an ad in the local paper and have had something read on the radio, but it?s a total shot in the dark. What I guess I would like every person to understand is that you need to make people stop, or at least write down a few license plate numbers if you can at the scene. And, on the flip side, if you see an accident, please report it. You never know, at some time during your travels you may need somebody to report something for you!

I wrote this short article for my paper so folks could learn from it.
I never found a eye witness so basically I could never prove fault. It is so frustrating because even the investigating officer thought the chain of events happened like I said. What happened is my truck and her car hit in the middle of the intersection. She smashed in both my passenger doors on my 4-door truck. She claims her light was yellow when she went into it. I claim, my light was green while I was in it. What happened, i am certain, is she lost control on the ice and slid into me while trying to stop. She had a yellow for awhile while she was trying to stop, but it totally was red as she was sliding in. My light was red as I entered the light. While closing in, it turned green. and I had momentum and speed as i traveled through. I got into the intersection fairly quickly and that is when she slid into me. What do you say?? She says I ran the light, I say she did, and yes she did! The police officer can't really make a judgement, one of us is lying.
Anyhow, all you contractors that have vehicles out of the road, inform your drivers! Also, it makes me think a lot harder about the new camera systems that are fairly cheap to install in work vehicles. If I would have had one, it would have shown my light being green when i went through. End of case.

hbiss

EC, Westchester, New York NEC: 2014
Occupation
EC
Re: Big lesson learned!

I think you need to retain an attorney. Insurance companies can't just wash their hands and say they are not going to pay because they can't determine who is at fault. As I see it, under these circumstances since she hit you the award should be split 75-25 in your favor.

Don't roll over on this, stick up for your rights.

-Hal

-

tshea

My 3 best friends and I pay them well--insurance agent, attorney, accountant.
All of us contractors NEED these three.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer

I am sorry for your loss. And I hope that I correctly infer that there were no injuries. But in my view, it was your own fault. Instead of slowing down for a light that was still red, you tried to time your approach such that the light would have changed to green before you got there. Based on your own statement,
Originally posted by yanert: My light was red as I entered the light. While closing in, it turned green, and I had momentum and speed as I traveled through.
I am forced to conclude that you mis-judged the timing. But your first error in judgment was to try to time your approach in that way. You did not take into account the other traffic that was approaching the intersection. You did not take into account the simple fact that the other person?s red light does not cause the other person?s car to stop. You could have prevented this accident, by driving defensively.

Thank you for sharing your story. You have given us several lessons that are worth learning. But if by chance you are also seeking a sympathetic audience, I?m afraid that you won?t find one in me.

electricmanscott

Red means stop. Not maintain speed and momentum hopping for green. Perhaps if you followed this logic you would have seen that she was sliding on the ice and this might have been avoided. :roll:

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

If you have full coverage on your vehicles (both collision and liability) your insurance company takes on the risk of damage to your vehicles regardless of who's fault it is.

If you choose not to have collision insurance, then you take on that risk.

Its a business decision. If you chose not to have collision insurance than you need to live with that.

Or you can spend time and money sueing the other driver. From what you have publically stated here, it sounds a lot like you may well have been at fault for failing to yield. I'm sure thats not what you intended when you made your post.

yanert

oops, sorry guys I guess I misspoke, or, mistyped!
What I wanted to say was as I got closer to the light, it turned green. Totally difrerent statement then, I turned green while at the light. I see what you guys are saying. I guess I should have said, it was totally green as I passed into the light. But... yes, I am a very defensive driver and was driving pretty slow,( trailer and slick conditions) but still, it makes me upset that I didnt see the other driver sliding. It is a busy little intersection and I was more concerened with my trailer not getting turned into as I passed through. It was completely her fault, but a little more caution was needed on my part!

Thanks

yanert

Also for Charlie, I really enjoy your posts on this forum, and I would imagine you do this for the greater good, so people can learn and be more productive and safe in the electrical field. I never intended this post to be a cry for sympathy, don't even judge it like that please. It was a unfortunate accident that I wouldn't want other folks to endure. Thank you.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager

Originally posted by yanert:
oops, sorry guys I guess I misspoke, or, mistyped!
What I wanted to say was as I got closer to the light, it turned green. Totally difrerent statement then, I turned green while at the light.
:D Well, was the light green or you? :D

jimwalker

Actually you woul both get a ticket in most states for failure to stop.Am i suspecting a can of bud or two by at least one of you ?I was hit a few months ago driving my sons truck.I was stoped at a stop sign and the #$&&^$# idiot behind me thought i was going to go and hit me.Yes i stopped ,why would i drive off ? The guys insurance paid over$1500 for a dent to a truck we paid about $800 for a few days before.Even minor damage can hit thousands fast.Had you stopped you would be collecting now.Why if your hit that bad did you not stop ?Come on we can all see the reason neither stoped.No license ,no insurance ,drinking,warrant for arrest on driver,there has to be a reason.

msd

OK enough picking on the guy. He feels bad enough. I for one, appreciate topics like these as it brings insightful information to the newbies in the business. Learning from other peoples mistakes and not your own is a far better way than finding out the hard way on your own.

The unexpected always happens sooner or later. Do you bet the come line or the don't come line, that is the question. 7 out.

Sorry to hear of your loss.

yanert

good grief!
#1 Yes we stopped. We exchanged information, Yes, the police officer came, he looked at the scene, ect. #2 No I was not drinking. Don't do that, drink and drive. #3, What I did was completely legal. Do you stop at a busy intersection and look both ways when your light is green? I at hope at least in this post I conveyed this. Anyhow, enough said, I was only trying to set the example that even though you could be completely in the right, external circumstances may prevent the right thing from happening.

jimwalker

" At the time of the accident, nobody stopped to see if both parties were ok. Also nobody phoned the Police Department to report the accident. Basically, there are no eyewitnesses."

Sounds like you both kept going.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer

I would like to suggest a couple of things.

1. make sure your insurance agent and your lawyer know about this accident in detail.

2. stop posting about it in a public forum. you are just digging the hole deeper.

3. maybe one of the forum moderators will be kind enough to just delete the whole thread for you if you ask nicely. the last thing you want is to have your posts read to you on the stand 3 years from now and be asked why your statements immediately after the accident do not match what you are testifying to at that time.

<added> 4. print out this thread and give it to your lawyer before it gets deleted.

[ February 09, 2005, 07:33 AM: Message edited by: petersonra ]

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician

" At the time of the accident, nobody stopped to see if both parties were ok. Also nobody phoned the Police Department to report the accident. Basically, there are no eyewitnesses."

Sounds like you both kept going.
sounds like yanert lives in one of the many megalopoli where people could care less if you spontaneously combust, unless of course it places them one position up in the checkout line...

~RJ~

Status
Not open for further replies.