hydrogen fuel cell division of areas

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have currently been working on a 500 KW fuel cell, the area that the fuel cell is located in is class 1 div 2 group b and is wired per code. The problem I have is the wall seperating the classified area from the non classified area. Most of the major electrical apparatus is located directly on the opposite side of this wall ,the wall is simply built from corrigated steel siding and now has dozens of penetrations. I believe this wall most be sealed and be a fire rated wall but can find no supporting information concerning same. My concern is this, if a hydrogen leak should occur and a negitive pressure was present in the non classified side it would draw the hydrogen into that area. Secondly a simple smoke bomb test has already proved that the ventilation in the area will not evacuate it. I was asked to leave this job because of this issue and have recieved a request for help from the lead engineer on the project who feels the same but can not find requirements can anyone help before an accident occurs.

jim ellis

Nfpa 853

Nfpa 853

Section 5.3 of this spec refers to ventilation requirements. We have not
tested the existing system as yet, but it does not seem adequate. This is why the wall construction requirements are needed.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Section 5.3 discusses the room construction including fire ratings and sealing wall penetrations. (5.3.1 and 5.3.2)

Status
Not open for further replies.