EMT to recpts and lighting in office

Status
Not open for further replies.

ron

Is anyone aware of a standard (Federal, national or other) that would require EMT or flexible metalic conduit to be installed in office walls for an inductrial application. These office are located within an industrial building, but not IN the industrial plant area. Obviously on a project by project basis, a specification may indicate this, but I am looking for a standard from an organization.

bennie

Esteemed Member
Re: EMT to recpts and lighting in office

Each building, or separated area, should be wired according to it's individual identity.

[ June 07, 2003, 10:56 AM: Message edited by: bennie ]

ron

Bennie,
I disagree. Many industrial installations require relocation of services on a regular basis to accomodate growth or change. What is an office today, may be a lab the next.

bennie

Esteemed Member

If there was an all encompassing standard, the restrooms will be in galv. rigid conduit. The wiring method is based on now, not what may be.

jro

I agree with Bennie, if at a later date the use of the structure changes, then the electrical contractor would wire to code and new building specs.

ron

I'm trying to find out if a standard exists.
I realize that a contractor may install MC cable from the service throughout, per the NEC. I wanted to find out if any standard from an organization (not a code or job specification) exists to establish EMT throughout.

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member

This is a common requirement in the "specifications" for a project. Some require EMT, some RMC, some with a minimum of 3/4". It may be a standard for a company such as Boeing, having learned the hard way that MC or AC cable does not allow for future adds, moves or changes.

bennie

Esteemed Member

Tom: The Boeing plant in Gresham, (about 10 miles away) uses re-loc lighting and receptacle wiring in the offices. Modular wiring is also used on partitions. The production machinery is in GRC, bus duct, floor duct, gutters, flex conduit, flexible cord, almost anything that works. The parking lot and security lights are in PVC.

The only standard is to use material suitable for the conditions. Section 110.3.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician

Ron,
Many industrial installations require relocation of services on a regular basis to accomodate growth or change. What is an office today, may be a lab the next.
This is the very reason velcro and zippers should be approved installation methods. :D

I know, poor humor. ;)

Roger

bennie

Esteemed Member

Roger: The modular wiring concept is almost the same as velcro, zippers, and snaps.

You can unplug a receptacle and replace it with a switch, or vise-versa, in some cases.

iwire

Staff member

Originally posted by roger:
This is the very reason velcro and zippers should be approved installation methods.
Roger your just jealous that the Datacom guys get to use Velcro. :D

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.