This looks... exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ericsherman37

A couple months ago I got a photo sent to my cell phone from one of our shop apprentices. Him and his journeyman were at the community college building changing out some damper motors that were waaaaaaaaaay up there. The only scissor lifts available that would go this high wouldn't fit through the doorway, so they wound up renting an electric manbasket with outriggers.

I didn't see it personally, but I understand that it's pretty wiggly up there at the top. Noooooooooooo thank you!

(sorry for the lousy picture quality. Maybe we should send this apprentice to photography class to learn about proper lighting and such. Plus it's a cell phone camera.)

occclift.jpg

Last edited:

ericsherman37

P.S. the journeyman in the basket was properly tied off. Though if the basket fell over and he was hanging there by his harness it would be a real pain to get him back down.

Cow

Occupation
Electrician
Definitely not for the faint of heart.

On a sidenote, I've always wondered what they use in movie theaters with stadium seating......

iwire

Staff member
P.S. the journeyman in the basket was properly tied off. Though if the basket fell over and he was hanging there by his harness it would be a real pain to get him back down.

You are not supposed to tie off to the structure.

You are not required to tie off at all in that type of lift.

480sparky

...........We usually end up using a combination of lifts and staging.

With the real steep seating, like then the person sitting in from of you their head is inline with your shins, no, a lift ain't gonna do it. It's going to take staging & scaffold.

Nice, safe steel and aluminum. :D

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
With the real steep seating, like then the person sitting in from of you their head is inline with your shins, no, a lift ain't gonna do it. It's going to take staging & scaffold.

Nice, safe steel and aluminum. :D

Why not just hand out flashlights at the door and call it good? :D

I saw my foreman change a bulb in an auditorium off an extension ladder. The ladder (I have no idea where he got this monstrosity) was a 90 foot ladder and he was about 65 feet up. I didn't know anything over 60 feet was even made.

Every time I go into a building with any sort of high bay lighting I try to visualize what it takes to change out the bulbs.

Before I wised up and went into the apprenticeship I worked maintenance in a die cast foundry. One day I had to swap out an HPS fixture that was over a holding furnace full of 1200 degree aluminum. They put me in a home made man basket and lifted me up with a fork lift and drove me over the furnace and told me to hurry. It must have been 150 degrees up there. The fixture I was swapping out caught fire the first day I worked there. I got to change it out on the second day I worked there.

OJT at it's finest!

jumper

Why not just hand out flashlights at the door and call it good? :D

I saw my foreman change a bulb in an auditorium off an extension ladder. The ladder (I have no idea where he got this monstrosity) was a 90 foot ladder and he was about 65 feet up. I didn't know anything over 60 feet was even made.

Every time I go into a building with any sort of high bay lighting I try to visualize what it takes to change out the bulbs.

Before I wised up and went into the apprenticeship I worked maintenance in a die cast foundry. One day I had to swap out an HPS fixture that was over a holding furnace full of 1200 degree aluminum. They put me in a home made man basket and lifted me up with a fork lift and drove me over the furnace and told me to hurry. It must have been 150 degrees up there. The fixture I was swapping out caught fire the first day I worked there. I got to change it out on the second day I worked there.

OJT at it's finest!

Aah, the good old days.:cool::)grin:)

Did a few for lift jobs myself, never again.:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.