battery charger install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our customer has 12 forklift battery-chargers that are multi-tap and currently set for 480 volt. Five of the chargers are single phase and seven are three phase. The loads vary from 6 amps to 19 amps. All of the units came from other warehouses, they all have cords and attachment plugs (twist-lok, 480v, 30 amp rated). The line of the cord is attached to a fuse block as the first point of attachment inside the battery charger cabinet. Fuses are rated at appoximately 180 % of the load, e.g. 7 amp rated unit with 12 amp fuses. Our inspector wants the charger fixed in place with fixing wiring or something from the manufacturer stated this as a UL rated installation. We used 30 amp circuits, single and three phase feeding 30 amp, 480v, 1/3 ph., receptacles. Most of the chargers share a circuit with one other charger and the maintained load of any two chargers is a maximum of 23 amps (1-11 amp & 1-13 amp e.g.). The circuit breakers are within sight. The inspector wants either fixed wiring, e.g. flex, or the manufacturer to advise on overcurrent protection and UL listin of the wiring method, i.e. cord, cap, receptacle assembly. Well the manufacturer does not return phone calls but their owner's manual lists a cord, cap and receptacle as option equipment. How does the NEC view a battery-charger? Is it an appliance or utilization equipment? Must they be fixed in place with "hard-wiring to disconnects? Does a attachment-plug-receptacle assembly act as a means of disconnect? Note: our experience is that it is easier for our customer's maintenance personnel to disconnect the cap from the receptacle if they need to ship these units offsite for service.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Re: battery charger install

From your info, I'd say they're utilization equipment, and the cords should be okay.

Re: battery charger install

thanks for the reply Larry. I'm thinking it is utilization equipment designed for rapid interchange.

Status
Not open for further replies.