anybody know how to remove that grey anti-oxidant from your shirt?

Status
Not open for further replies.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
From biology 101 like dissolves like.
Isn't that stuff petroleum based? How about acetone?

The stuff that stays is very finely powdered metal. It is likely physically attached to the fibers of the cloth. Getting the carrier out is no problem.

I have tried every solvent in my arsenal to no avail. That's why I am also interested in hearing about anyone actually having success getting the stuff out. I gave up trying years ago.

mopowr steve

Occupation
Electrical contractor
Don't know of anything to remove the stain. I try not to wear anything to nice when I know I'm using de-ox.
A new shirt is in order.

bullheimer

i havent had luck with any clothes soap. but i have acetone outside i'll go try it now. wasnt doing anything just had to put a plastic cover on a meter base and since it was used, had the crap on the tangs that stick into the slots. brushed it up agin my shirt and presto!

ok well, acetone, zip; zylene paint thinner, zip; joanies special mystery cleaner, zip.
Mineral Spirits, dissolved it somewhat, but also did just kinda smeared it in better too. i'd have to say i think it might come out. but the MS did so alot of good. still know that it's not all coming out. this is a yellow shirt too so it's there forever. if by some miracle (maybe all four of the above is the magic formula) it comes out i'll let you know. why'd i even buy this stuff again anyway?

Last edited:

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
i havent had luck with any clothes soap. but i have acetone outside i'll go try it now. wasnt doing anything just had to put a plastic cover on a meter base and since it was used, had the crap on the tangs that stick into the slots. brushed it up agin my shirt and presto!

ok well, acetone, zip; zylene paint thinner, zip; joanies special mystery cleaner, zip.
Mineral Spirits, dissolved it somewhat, but also did just kinda smeared it in better too. i'd have to say i think it might come out. but the MS did so alot of good. still know that it's not all coming out. this is a yellow shirt too so it's there forever. if by some miracle (maybe all four of the above is the magic formula) it comes out i'll let you know. why'd i even buy this stuff again anyway?

Try Goof Off. If it's soluble in any non-aqueous solvent that will do it.

Jraef

Moderator, OTD
Staff member
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Try Goof Off. If it's soluble in any non-aqueous solvent that will do it.
Goof-Off for the initial stain, put a clean rag behind the stain and blot it with the Goof-Off so that the stuff flows through your clothes into the rag. Then to get out what Goof-Off leaves behind after it dries and BEFORE you wash it, moisten the area with a spray bottle then get a bar of Fels Naptha soap and rub it hard into the stain area. Let it sit there for a day before putting it in the wash.

220px-Fels-Naptha_melbatoast917.jpg

Taught to me by my grandmother, this has worked for countless "industrial grade" greasy stains. Since starting to work with a bunch of people from India, I found it also worked for curry stains, although it took about 4 washings to get them out.

K8MHZ

Michigan. It's a beautiful peninsula, I've looked
Occupation
Electrician
Goof-Off for the initial stain, put a clean rag behind the stain and blot it with the Goof-Off so that the stuff flows through your clothes into the rag. Then to get out what Goof-Off leaves behind after it dries and BEFORE you wash it, moisten the area with a spray bottle then get a bar of Fels Naptha soap and rub it hard into the stain area. Let it sit there for a day before putting it in the wash.

View attachment 14766

Taught to me by my grandmother, this has worked for countless "industrial grade" greasy stains. Since starting to work with a bunch of people from India, I found it also worked for curry stains, although it took about 4 washings to get them out.

You have actually used the above technique on anti-oxidant or never-seize?

The Spunkster

I always scrub the spot with waterless hand cleaner and a brush before it goes in the washer. Seems to work for me,though I have never examined it under a microscope.:)

bullheimer

well my wife got it out! i gave it to her still wet from the mineral spirits which got most of it out, you recall, then she scrubbed it with Dawn and All. now this was just a little spot, not the usual smeared all over the place, it all came out. when i scrubbed it with a wash clothe and mineral spirits that got alot out of the fiber, i had to rub it pretty good. still think if it was a bigger stain it wouldn't come out unless i try Jraef's grannys formula ( where do you buy it). that will be my next effort. but best to not pick up anything that has anything to do with service gear wearing anything you don't want screwed up. all i know about Goof off is it took the upholstery color OUT of my damned seat back when i went to get ink out of it. i wouldnt be too surprised that does it. anyways thanks for the replies. half the clothes i own are crap.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~
thanks. would love to know.

well, there is this stuff...... but it's by amway, so you have to deal with *that*.

prewash spray.

honestly, i've never seen anything it wouldn't remove.... i remember a load
of my ex wife's work clothes, that went into the dryer with her sons pants,
that had CRAYONS in the pockets.... the bright green wax was melted into
her clothes... after gnashing of teeth and wailing.... i got a can of that stuff,
and soaked all the wax stains with it, and threw them back in the wash.

all gone.

it's removed graphite from my work clothes, and honestly, nothing is filthier
that powdered graphite.

give it a try. if it doesn't work, return it and get your money back.

norcal

Another thing to try, I have had good luck w/ pretreating stains with Resolve & soaking in Oxiclean, some white rags stained with grease, that just wanted a bit cleaner came out a whole lot cleaner then expected.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
It sounds like it is not the grease but the metal particles. Removing the carrier grease just leaves the metal particles on the fibers of the fabric.
So perhaps a combination of "clean" grease or oil and rubbing may remove enough of the metal particles that you can then finish by removing the grease or oil.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
It sounds like it is not the grease but the metal particles. Removing the carrier grease just leaves the metal particles on the fibers of the fabric.
So perhaps a combination of "clean" grease or oil and rubbing may remove enough of the metal particles that you can then finish by removing the grease or oil.

I think you have the secret formula. Solvent to remove the grease "binder", and then a soft bristle brush to lift the metal particles out of the fabric.

Status
Not open for further replies.