bathroom outlet requirements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
One in the center is an option. Either one at each end or one in the middle as long as the outlets are no further than 3' from the sinks

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I submit for your consideration the possibility that a single receptacle close to the left hand edge of the left hand basin would be enough, if that location is also within 3 feet of the left hand edge of the right hand basin. A basin has two outside edges, and placing a second basin on the same countertop does not cause one to become inside and the other outside, at least not in the context of this code article. There is nothing in the rule that requires each basin to have its own receptacle. That said, although I would call this code compliant, I would also call it a bad design, and a disservice to the future occupants.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Charlie I realize you are reading the code per your rule however, I don't believe that is the general interpretation. I don't see how a receptacle that is placed across another sink is considered adjacent to the sink.

In most cases sinks are placed too far apart for this to even be a possibility however I don't believe that the intent was to allow crossing a sink to access the outlet

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Nothing requires the receptacle to be adjacent to the sink, and nothing speaks to other things that might be inconveniently located. The only requirement is that if you have a basin, you need a receptacle within 3 feet of its outer edge. Yes, I know that what I suggested earlier does not meet the intent of the code. But I merely point out that that is what the words are saying.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Nothing requires the receptacle to be adjacent to the sink,

I must disagree
210.52(D) Bathrooms. In dwelling units, at least one receptacle
outlet shall be installed in bathrooms within 900 mm (3 ft)
of the outside edge of each basin. The receptacle outlet
shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent to the
basin or basin countertop, located on the countertop, or
installed on the side or face of the basin cabinet. In no case
shall the receptacle be located more than 300 mm (12 in.)
below the top of the basin. Receptacle outlet assemblies
listed for the application shall be permitted to be installed
in the countertop.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
I must disagree
And I will disagree right back. It is the wall that must be adjacent to the basin, not the receptacle. That wall could easily be 10 feet wide or more. The location requirement for the receptacle is that it must be within 3 feet of the basin. That does not prohibit a second basin from being between the first basin and the only receptacle in the room.

This is all academic, I think we will agree. If some obstacle prevents putting a receptacle on the wall between the two basins, then I would put one near each basin on the far side from the center.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
And I have to disagree with your interpretation if the supporting quote.
I read it as saying that the wall or partition in which the receptacle is mounted must be adjacent. And the common back wall is continuous and adjacent to both sinks.
I do think that two receptacle outlets would be better, but I do not think that the code requires that.

packersparky

Occupation
Inspector
NFPA was asked this question, and here is the response.

Yes, If the basins are in close proximity, one receptacle outletsatisfies the 210.52(D) requirement.

If you have a follow-up question directly related to this inquiry,please reply to this email. If you have another question on either a separate topic or different document please return to the document informationpages and submit your new question by clicking on the “Technical Questions”tab.

Mark Cloutier
Sr. Electrical Engineer

Important Notice: This correspondence is not a Formal Interpretation issuedpursuant to NFPA Regulations. Any opinion expressed is the personal opinion ofthe author and does not necessarily represent the official position of the NFPAor its Technical Committees. In addition, this correspondence is neitherintended, nor should it be relied upon, to provide professional consultation orservices.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create Date: 2/7/2014

Subject: Bathroom Receptacle Placement

Question for NFPA: I have ascenario where there is a double basin in the same counter-top of a bathroomvanity. There is a wall on the right hand side of the vanity and a wall behindthe basins where the mirror is located and no wall on the left hand side. Thecounter-top is common to both basins. The receptacle is be placed on the wallto the right hand side of both basins because there is no left hand wall andthe back wall is completely mirrored. The way 210.52(D) reads "The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent tothe basin OR basin countertop, located on the countertop, etc..." Theright hand wall is indeed adjacent to the countertop that is common to bothbasins. The receptacle on the right hand side wall is within 3 feet of bothbasins. Does having only one receptacle on the right hand wall meet therequirements and intent of 2011 NEC Art. 210.52(D)for both basins?

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
NFPA was asked this question, and here is the response.

Yes, If the basins are in close proximity, one receptacle outletsatisfies the 210.52(D) requirement.

If you have a follow-up question directly related to this inquiry,please reply to this email. If you have another question on either a separate topic or different document please return to the document informationpages and submit your new question by clicking on the “Technical Questions”tab.

Mark Cloutier
Sr. Electrical Engineer

Important Notice: This correspondence is not a Formal Interpretation issuedpursuant to NFPA Regulations. Any opinion expressed is the personal opinion ofthe author and does not necessarily represent the official position of the NFPAor its Technical Committees. In addition, this correspondence is neitherintended, nor should it be relied upon, to provide professional consultation orservices.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Create Date: 2/7/2014

Subject: Bathroom Receptacle Placement

Question for NFPA: I have ascenario where there is a double basin in the same counter-top of a bathroomvanity. There is a wall on the right hand side of the vanity and a wall behindthe basins where the mirror is located and no wall on the left hand side. Thecounter-top is common to both basins. The receptacle is be placed on the wallto the right hand side of both basins because there is no left hand wall andthe back wall is completely mirrored. The way 210.52(D) reads "The receptacle outlet shall be located on a wall or partition that is adjacent tothe basin OR basin countertop, located on the countertop, etc..." Theright hand wall is indeed adjacent to the countertop that is common to bothbasins. The receptacle on the right hand side wall is within 3 feet of bothbasins. Does having only one receptacle on the right hand wall meet therequirements and intent of 2011 NEC Art. 210.52(D)for both basins?

IMO theresponder is not correct or he is misreading the installation. One receptacle in the middle works if the basins are not too far apart but IMO, if you have to cross another sink then the receptacle is not adjacent.

Charlie, it does not say the wall only must be adjacent. It says the outlet must be located on the wall that is adjacent. I guess we will have to disagree

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Charlie, it does not say the wall only must be adjacent. It says the outlet must be located on the wall that is adjacent.
What that prohibits is putting the receptacle on the wall that is behind you, as you stand looking at the sink, even if there is less than 3 feet between the near edge of the sink and the opposite wall.
I guess we will have to disagree
Been there before; will get there again.:happyyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.