Nonincendive device

Status
Not open for further replies.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I have a device where the FM Certificate of Compliance -Hazardous (classified) Electrical Equipment says the following:
Nonincendive for Class I and II, Division 2, Group A, B, C, D, F, & G Hazardous (Classified) Locations
The manufacturer's rep is telling me I can install this device in a Class I, Division 2 location using any wiring method that is permitted to be used in that classification. He says it does not have to be connected to a nonincendive circuit.

What am I missing? It appears to me that the device could only be used in the Classified location as part of a nonincendive system.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
What is the device? Is there a control drawing involved?
It is a Westlock 9468 FC/2M12 valve switch with LED indicators.
The manufacture says there is no control valve but their literature and the FM certification both say the device is nonincendive. I thought if it is a nonincendive device it has to have a control diagram.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
It is a Westlock 9468 FC/2M12 valve switch with LED indicators.
The manufacture says there is no control valve but their literature and the FM certification both say the device is nonincendive. I thought if it is a nonincendive device it has to have a control diagram.
I didn't find nonincendive in the link literature; it said "Class I, Division 2, Groups A,B,C&D". I generally don't trust manufacturer's sales literature, but I'd have no problem accepting the FM literature. IF it says, "Nonincendive for Class I and II, Division 2, Group A, B, C, D, F, & G Hazardous (Classified) Locations" THEN it would be limited to nonincendive field wiring and ​installed under a control drawing. [Section 501.10(B)(3)]

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I didn't find nonincendive in the link literature; it said "Class I, Division 2, Groups A,B,C&D". I generally don't trust manufacturer's sales literature, but I'd have no problem accepting the FM literature. IF it says, "Nonincendive for Class I and II, Division 2, Group A, B, C, D, F, & G Hazardous (Classified) Locations" THEN it would be limited to nonincendive field wiring and ​installed under a control drawing. [Section 501.10(B)(3)]
The FM document says that exactly, but the manufacturer says they do not have a control diagram. They are telling me that there is a difference between a nonincendive device (what they say this is) and nonincendive field wiring, which they say is the only thing that requires a control diagram.

I do see the table on the first page of sales brochure that shows Class I, Division with out any reference to nonincendive, but at the top of each page just below the title it says "non-incendive".

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
As I said, "I generally don't trust manufacturer's sales literature ..." especially when "non-incendive" is not an NEC term; rather nonincendive is the proper term. More significantly, "non-incendive device" is undefined whereas Control Drawing, Nonincendive Circuit, Nonincendive Component, Nonincendive Equipment, Nonincendive Field Wiring and Nonincendive Field Wiring Apparatus are all defined and the product wouldn't seem to fit any of them.

NOW if they want the product to fit under Section 500.8(A)(3), let'em submit the test data that the "device" is suitable for Division 2. At the moment, the FM statement is NOT sufficient - it must at least be part of a Nonincendive Circuit and the conditions are described in ANSI/ISA-12.]2.01-2012, Nonincendive Electrical Equipment/or Use in Class I and 11, Division 2

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
NOW if they want the product to fit under Section 500.8(A)(3), let'em submit the test data that the "device" is suitable for Division 2. At the moment, the FM statement is NOT sufficient - it must at least be part of a Nonincendive Circuit and the conditions are described in ANSI/ISA-12.]2.01-2012, Nonincendive Electrical Equipment/or Use in Class I and 11, Division 2
That is how I was reading the FM statement also, but was just looking for conformation after their application engineer was telling me I was wrong.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Of course, they could claim it somehow qualifies under Section 501.105(B), but I suspect they would have mentioned that by now.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
Of course, they could claim it somehow qualifies under Section 501.105(B), but I suspect they would have mentioned that by now.
I have seen that used for instrumentation in Class I, Division 2 locations a number of times. I don't if the manufacturer said it was ok, or if the end user approved the instruments under that section.

J_W_

The FM document says that exactly, but the manufacturer says they do not have a control diagram. They are telling me that there is a difference between a nonincendive device (what they say this is) and nonincendive field wiring, which they say is the only thing that requires a control diagram.

The manufacturers description matches the interpretation I have been using. Nonincendive equipment is a protection concept, but the only thing it gains you is not needing an XP enclosure or enclosure seal for that equipment. Just having nonincendive equipment does not require a control drawing, but also does not qualify you for 501.10(B)(3). As such, you still have to follow all the other classified area wiring requirements.

Nonincendive field wiring is an optional extension of the nonincendive concept where you can gain the additional exemptions of 501.10(B)(3) when installed in accordance to a provided control drawing.

This interpretation is supported by the FM Approval Guide which differentiates between nonincendive equipment (listed as NI) and equipment that is suitable for nonincendive field wiring ("NIFW" appended to the NI approval). Look through the approval guide and you will see that only a small percentage of "NI" equipment has the further "NIFW" approval.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
FM has always had a very practical position with respect to Division 2. HOWEVER, nonincendive device is an undefined term in both the NEC and ANSI/ISA-12.12.01-2007 which are the "official" NFPA, OSHA and FM relevant standards.

The "device" in question sounds more like a nonincendive component.

Kobe85

I once asked our CSA inspector for his interpretation and this is what he had to say:

When the term nonincendive is used as a stand-a-lone word, it usually is confusing. The defined terms are “nonincendive component”, “nonincendive equipment”, “nonincendive circuit” and “nonincendive field wiring circuit”. An item such as a PLC is frequently evaluated as “nonincendive equipment” to a standard such as ISA 12.12.01 or CSA C22.2 No. 213. The evaluation concludes that the item is suitable for being located in a Class I, Division 2 hazardous location without further protection, (e.g. an explosionproof enclosure or a pressurized enclosure). There is no information given about the field devices conveyed by the “nonincendive equipment” rating. The default is that each field device must be separately rated for division 2. Further, all of the interconnecting wiring must be suitable for Division 2.

It is possible that some PLCs will have “nonincendive field wiring outputs”. There will need to be a control drawing providing the details of these NIFW circuits. This would allow the use of simple apparatus such as a switch, a TC or an RTD without further evaluation.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
I also have a healthy respect for CSA. However, "nonincendive device" is still undefined in the relevant standards and I believe it is misleading as it has been used in the manufacture's literature. It would appear to be a CSA concept equavelent to an "Ex e" device. CEC/CSA permits several installation practices/products in hazardous locations that are not permitted under the NEC.

This should not be taken as my opinion that either the IEC or the CEC are substandard, just different and not entirely compatible with the NEC.

Status
Not open for further replies.