Single phase from three phase transformer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tony S

No it is not supposition Tony, it is what we use here.

So the OP is looking for a new transformer based on something you haven’t seen?

Dry type don’t have to be monoblock so coil endings are most likely to be accessible to isolate one leg of the primary.

Believe it or not, the rest of the world use transformers, they just hum a different tune.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member

Tony, the OP is in Texas not the UK, I have a pretty firm grip on what the transformer they have is like.

Regardless of electricity working the same on both sides of the ocean we use different equipment than you do.

This picture likely represents what the OP has.

uds_transformer_45KVA.jpg

Could it be something else? Sure, maybe a 1% chance if it was a special order.

iwire

Staff member
Believe it or not, the rest of the world use transformers, they just hum a different tune.

I believe it.:D

But the differences in the equipment used is why I would not go to an English forum and tell them how to wire it based on my American experiances. :p

Tony S

I believe it.:D

But the differences in the equipment used is why I would not go to an English forum and tell them how to wire it based on my American experiances. :p

Since I left engineering college many years ago I can’t think of anything major that has changed transformer construction.

As for differing countries, as senior moderator of a UK site I would welcome you to join in discussions.

You have codes, we have regulations, neither have an effect on the basic laws of physics. That is unless you know different.

iwire

Staff member
Since I left engineering college many years ago I can’t think of anything major that has changed transformer construction.

As for differing countries, as senior moderator of a UK site I would welcome you to join in discussions.

You have codes, we have regulations, neither have an effect on the basic laws of physics. That is unless you know different.

Tony you are being silly.

I never suggested that laws of physics work differently from here to there only that the equipment and codes are different.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems

No the OP said they bought a transformer off of a material list so it is not likely a special order unit.
The OP went on to ask what he could do about with the incorrect transformer to make it work. He was not asking about purchasing a special transformer.

Tony S

A half apology, so don’t get used to it.

Rearranging the primary windings will work but it involves swapping the start and finish of a primary winding.

The colour at each end of the winding represents the start. (Sorry for the horrible yellow colour but with my eyesight I can’t see yellow on a white screen.)
Tx%20Opps_zpsqvfwmn39.jpg

Given that the OP is trying to get his backside out of the fire it may help.

jim dungar

Staff member
Occupation
PE (Retired) - Power Systems
Rearranging the primary windings will work but it involves swapping the start and finish of a primary winding.

That will require the OP to field modify the welded aluminum winding connections of his transformer, thereby voiding its warranty and making it likely to be rejected by the AHJ.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
...Rearranging the primary windings will work but it involves swapping the start and finish of a primary winding. ....
I agree with Jim...
That will require the OP to field modify the welded aluminum winding connections of his transformer, thereby voiding its warranty and making it likely to be rejected by the AHJ.
If you refer to the picture of a common small tranny's guts in post #23 (link), you'll see one end of each primary winding conductor is brought and welded to a terminal bus. The other end of each winding is actually doesn't leave the winding, but voltage taps near that end of the windings are visible and you can see how they are connected...

mbrooke

Batteries Included
Occupation
Technician
We’ll just slow you down, it’s easier.

You’ll need to catch up with our technology first though.

I disagree, every power transformer in North America will loose something like 18% of its KVA rating, not to mention the primary voltage may need to be reduced to prevent saturation. On the other hand the UK will actually see an increase in KVA.

Status
Not open for further replies.