Meyers Hubs with PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

jonny1982

Is it ok to use a Meyers Hub with PVC? For instance, Meyers hub to seal box if comming in side or top and then PVC connector scewed into meyers hub and then running PVC conduit.

Also, is it ok to screw ridgid threaded conduit into the top of a bell box and it be ok for a wet location since it is threaded in?

Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Technically a myers hub or any hub is only listed for RMC. IMO, that is only because it was tested like that years ago. I have seen literally thousands of hubs with pvc connectors in the them. The power company used to do this all the time on the risers and so did most electricians. I don't know of anybody who has been turned down for this but I guess it could happen.

Certainly rmc can be screwed into a bell box. If you worry about the threads put a little silicone around the threads but I don't think it is necessary

Smart $

Esteemed Member
You need a PVC 'T/A' or transition adapter.

The exact thing we used to call PVC box connectors.

AHJ approved in Michigan.
May be AHJ approved in MI, but elsewhere, going by UL Listing under category DWTT (Conduit Fittings), we have to deal with....
2015-16 GUIDE INFORMATION FOR ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT — THE WHITE BOOK said:
All male threaded fittings and nipples have only been investigated for use with locknuts.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
And if you're feeling "inexpensive"... :D

...just skip the myers hub, insert close nipple into box and use sealing locknut on the inside.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
And if you're feeling "inexpensive"... :D

...just skip the myers hub, insert close nipple into box and use sealing locknut on the inside.
Hmmm.... must have edited that post rather add one as I thought.

Anyway, there was supposed to be a post before that one which said...

The route to go (and 100% compliant) is screw a close nipple into the myers hub then screw on a PVC female adapter to convert over.
2015-16 GUIDE INFORMATION FOR ELECTRICAL EQUIPMENT — THE WHITE BOOK said:
Fittings with internal female threads (e.g., hubs, conduit bodies, couplings) have only been investigated for use with threaded rigid conduit.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
They make an O-ring for PVC TA's. IT is probably the only fully compliant way to enter an enclosure with RNC where raintightness is required.
I know you said this before, but I've never seen any and when I search the web, I can't find any. Got a link?

Anyway, I have to assume we're talking about a non-PVC enclosure termination here, right jonny1982?

kwired

Electron manager
I can swear I once saw PVC meter socket "cement type" hubs that you cement the conduit into and bolt onto the meter socket in a catalog or other brochure, never actually seen one otherwise.

Otherwise as mentioned even the bell box hubs are technically only designed for tapered threaded entries -though I'd say about 95% of bell box entries I have ever seen were not tapered threads. Take out short nipple entries and maybe it jumps to about 99%.

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Status
Not open for further replies.