Damper motor disconnect

Status
Not open for further replies.

chris kennedy

Occupation
60 yr old tool twisting electrician
I have a few fractional hp damper motors that will close on F/A actuation.
Where can I find a requirement telling me if a disco is required?

Thanks

luckylerado

I have used cord and plug in the past when not in a plenum space but I think that for the typical fire/smoke damper there is not a requirement for a disconnect.

430.109(B)

(B) Stationary Motors of
1⁄8 Horsepower or Less. For stationary
motors of 1⁄8 hp or less, the branch-circuit overcurrent device
shall be permitted to serve as the disconnecting means.

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
I'm going to play devil's advocate here....... my first thought was, as mentioned, is 430.109(B)
but does that allowance automatically remove the requirement of 430.102 for the disconnecting means to be "in sight from' since 430.109 is the type disconnect only ?

luckylerado

I'm going to play devil's advocate here....... my first thought was, as mentioned, is 430.109(B)
but does that allowance automatically remove the requirement of 430.102 for the disconnecting means to be "in sight from' since 430.109 is the type disconnect only ?

That is a good point. Re-reading it, I do not see an exception to 430.102 within 430.109(B).

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
personally, the fact that it specifically says that the BC OCPD can be the required disconnecting means, overrides whatever other requirements there might be that might prohibit the BC OCPD from being the disconnecting means. It would be a somewhat pointless option if it did not mean that.

the fact is that a BC OCPD can always be the disconnecting means if it meets the "in sight" and other requirements.

luckylerado

personally, the fact that it specifically says that the BC OCPD can be the required disconnecting means, overrides whatever other requirements there might be that might prohibit the BC OCPD from being the disconnecting means. It would be a somewhat pointless option if it did not mean that.

the fact is that a BC OCPD can always be the disconnecting means if it meets the "in sight" and other requirements.

I don't know. The "within sight" requirement is not repeated in any of 430.109 A through G. Is that to mean we disregard 430.102 in each case?

mgookin

Is that damper motor even allowed to have a disconnect? Is it fail safe? It's a life safety measure as part of a FACP. You sure could not have a disconnect on horns & strobes.

luckylerado

Is that damper motor even allowed to have a disconnect? Is it fail safe? It's a life safety measure as part of a FACP. You sure could not have a disconnect on horns & strobes.

They are supposed to fail closed. I have never failed and inspection using cord and plug and 72 does not require these to be supervised only the detector that initiates them.

don_resqcapt19

Staff member
Occupation
retired electrician
I'm in the camp that 430.109 says what it says and you don't need a disconnect.
430.109 has nothing to do with the question of a disconnect being needed, or its location. It only tells you what devices can be used for the disconnect that is required by other code sections.

Sure the branch circuit OCPD is permitted to be used as the required disconnect, but only if it meets the other rules for the location of the disconnect. I don't see anything in 109 that modifies the other rules.
430.109 Type. The disconnecting means shall be a type specified in 430.109(A), unless otherwise permitted in 430.109(B) through (G), under the conditions specified.

rlundsrud

You are using the wrong terminology, these are not damper "motors", they are damper actuators and as such are considered part of the damper assembly. Because of this, the rules pertaining to motors does not apply.

luckylerado

You are using the wrong terminology, these are not damper "motors", they are damper actuators and as such are considered part of the damper assembly. Because of this, the rules pertaining to motors does not apply.

I do not follow. Even if it is an appliance, how does this alleviate the need for a disconnect? I think that it is good practice even if not required because it is the HVAC guy that has to service them.

I thought about this a little more and these are installed on the load side of a switch or one kind or another. Often within sight sometimes with a manual test switch for the initiation device. Does this change anything even though the switch would likely be remotely controlled?

rlundsrud

I do not follow. Even if it is an appliance, how does this alleviate the need for a disconnect? I think that it is good practice even if not required because it is the HVAC guy that has to service them.

I thought about this a little more and these are installed on the load side of a switch or one kind or another. Often within sight sometimes with a manual test switch for the initiation device. Does this change anything even though the switch would likely be remotely controlled?

This is an excerpt from the June 2006 Washington State Electrical Currents newsletter (Vol. 9 No. 6) written by Ron Fuller, chief electrical inspector

"Do HVAC Damper Actuators Need Motor Disconnecting Means Per NEC Article 430?

No, an actuator is considered a component of the damper assembly and is not subject to the
disconnect requirements of NEC 430.101. Though often called by other names such as damper motors,
damper operators, or motor packs, damper actuator is the appropriate term. A damper actuator is not a motor subject to NEC Article 430."

While I can't really come up with any specific code that says a disconnect isn't required, I have never been required by any AHJ to install one and I am a temperature controls/BAS installer.

luckylerado

Do these meet the following definition?

Valve Actuator Motor (VAM) Assemblies. A manufactured
assembly, used to operate a valve, consisting of an actuator motor
and other components such as controllers, torque switches, limit
switches, and overload protection.

Status
Not open for further replies.