Home Advisor.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

precise8128

Hey any contractors on here use home advisor.com? Is this a good move or no? I'm getting emails daily from them what's the catch?

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

Last edited:

fireryan

Hey any contractors on here use home advisor.com? Is this a good move or no? I'm getting emails daily from them what's the catch?

I used to get phone calls from them daily telling me they had 12 projects going on in my area and couldn't find a electrician. I finally told them one day to quit calling me and wasting my time.:rant:

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist

The catch is they will give you useless tire kickers for your valuable time.

If that is worth anything to you, then go sign up with them.

kwired

Electron manager
IMO, you have to be desperate if you want to/have to depend on a pimp to line up work for you. Your money will be better spent on your own sales/ marketing person or department that represents you and only you then to pimp yourself out to someone that is mostly interested in their own profits and agenda.

The bottom feeders of potential clients are also the ones that will be easiest to find that have a need for work, you don't need them either.
The best potential clients already know or have better ways of finding a contractor when they need one so you won't find many of those through such a service.

JMO.

Little Bill

Staff member
Occupation
Semi-Retired Electrician
They tell you that you can get credit for "tire kicker" calls, but from what I've heard from those that tried it :happyno:!
You don't have a choice as to whether you pay or not as they require your CC to even get started. Then they hit the card on every lead they send you, whether you get the job or not.

And why is it always " several panel changes in your area"? Why not a hot tub, room addition, sky-blue pink receptacle replacement!;)

growler

And why is it always " several panel changes in your area"? Why not a hot tub, room addition, sky-blue pink receptacle replacement!;)

Bigger piece of cheese to bait the trap.

I have had calls from several companies like "home advisor" and they all use the same sales pitch.

romex jockey

Occupation
electrician
well maybe it was the other national pimp corp Chris, i've given them all a fair shot up to this point, and have no use for any of them.

~RJ~

teco

Here is my take. I am only speaking about my own experience with HA. I joined on my own, no sales person called me. I wanted to give residential service work and installs a try in our area. I have found HA to be very fair.

The issues I did have are with the people who use HA. The Homeowner.

My 1st issue. Many people using HA are tire kickers. Just looking for how much something might cost them, so they fill out the form to get some prices. Once they have their prices, many decide not to spend the money, but you will be charged for this lead if you were one of the contractors the lead was sent to.
When this has happened to me, HA has credited the cost of the lead to me each time so far. It is a nuisance but it is not HA causing the issue.

My 2nd issue. Most of the jobs are small repairs and HA has many users that just do not want to pay enough for small repair jobs to cover the O&P your particular company needs to operate.

We don't have this issue from other sources we use to earn our business. HA seems to be full of hard sell customers you need to work harder on to make the sale, for mostly small repair jobs, so its hardly worth the sales time invested.

These are the two biggest issues why we do not use the service much anymore. Basically the work that comes from HA hasn't been worth the time you invest to look at, price the work, answer the calls, deal with the tire kickers, report bad leads to HA for credit, etc…

Speaking for myself only, I have never experienced anything I would consider unethical or shady business practices from HA. They have treated me very well.

So, IMO, you won't make much money because of the type of jobs that comes from HA, and when you add in the time wasted to deal with the nuisance issues, I feel it is not worth effort.

James L

Occupation
Electrician
I used HA a few years ago when I wanted to take a change un the location of my work. I had been driving an hour west, and wanted to stay closer to home.

What I found was that you've gotta be on the stick because they give the lead to a half dozen guys, and the first one to call usually gets the job.

I ran into tire kickers, but not near as many as others seemed to have. Mostly it was small stuff - adding dryer plug, hanging a few light fixtures, etc...but there were also service upgrades, too.

I didn't think the focus was on lowest price always. Many said they were glad somebody actyally came out.

And they do reimburse the charges for tire kickers

All in all, it was a good way for me to get off the ground in a new area. But soon I had more than enough work from repeats and cancelled.

BTW, I'm a 1-man gang, andwas able to accommodate weird scheduling times when needed. I don't really think it's a good fit for a bona fide shop.

Status
Not open for further replies.