Questions About Chandeliers/Elaborate Pendent Lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

JFletcher

When installing these, like ones that have numerous string of crystals or other such setup, how many of you do the complete installation/assembly of these non-electrical parts? How would you price a customer supplied light of this nature? A simple ceiling light might take 10 minutes to install, some of these very fancy ones* may take an hour or more.

Also, with customer supplied chandeliers that are second hand/used/not NIB, like bought at a consignment shop, how do you go about warrantying the installation? Do you 'bench test' it before hanging to make sure all the sockets are good or that there isnt a loose connection in the light?

*Something like this:

http://www.gallery803.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=372194

or hanging this w/o breaking it:

ac-dc-led-lamp-ce-ul-certificate-chihuly.jpg

Ponchik

Occupation
Electronologist
For me Crystal chandelier include the dressing of the fixture. I don't give the customer the option of them dressing the fixture unless if they ask for it.
Waranty the workmanship not the fixture. If the fixture is faulty and does not work then it should not be covered under your watch. But I would bench test it before installing it especially for used old fixtures I make sure the shell of the socket is connected to the neutral.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I insist on a third party testing otherwise i does not get installed. I some cases where all the lights are difficult we would charge extra. Most of my jobs are T&M so that is generally not an issue. If there was only one fixture like that I usually get the owners to install the glass or they have to pay us to spend the time to do it. They are usually more than happy to do it themselves.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
How would you price a customer supplied light of this nature?

Wow! That's a beaut!!!

I have a repeat client that squawks at the purchase price of fixtures at the stores, and absolutely thrills at finding some low-buck garish hanging chandelier that is odd and imported and for sale in an unexpected location like a gift shop or curio store in a tourist town, and then bringing this "prize" home to be installed. "Oh, Al, you'll have to modify it a little, but that'll work, right?"

Pure time and materials.

There's no other way to do it.

NorthwestPV

I have installed several fixtures similar to this one. With the glass individually wrapped, it took between 4 to 6 hours to install. One thing to consider is the weight of the fixture. The ones I installed were 100 pounds plus.

Status
Not open for further replies.