Double Vanity Receps

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are installing one receptacle for a double vanity does it have to be between the two to satisfy code or can it be on the wall to the right as long as it is within 3 feet of the vanity on the left? We are wiring a new house and the contractor doesn't want any receps in the backsplash. He wants one in the wall on the right and to the left of the vanity is a floor to ceiling cabinet. He does want a recep in the cabinet because the homeowner plans to store her hair dryer and straightener in this cabinet and wants to be able to keep them plugged in. We think its stupid but whatever. Am I right in assuming the recep in the cabinet wont count towards the required recep for the vanity?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One in the middle or two, one on each side. You cannot reach across one sink to access the receptacle even if it's less than 3'.

tbartek

One in the middle or two, one on each side. You cannot reach across one sink to access the receptacle even if it's less than 3'.

So, why can you not reach across another basin? If the outlet's on an adjacent wall and within 3' of the edge of both basins that is all you need to satisfy the code. I'm assuming by a double vanity he means a single vanity with two basins.

Last edited:

mwm1752

So, why can you not reach across another basin? If the outlet's on an adjacent wall and within 3' of the edge of both basins that is all you need to satisfy the code. I'm assuming by a double vanity he means a single vanity with two basins.

NEC code does not omit bad design -- remember 36 1/4" is greater than minimum & owners will not like bad designs

jumper

I think you are correct. The rule for sinks dividing a countertop in a kitchen are not there for a bathroom.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I had a similar case, so I cut the cabinet and installed the receptacle in the cabinet facing the sink.

I would think installing a receptacle inside the cabinet would be bad for a curling iron! No switches on some models!
A receptacle installed inside a cabinet does not qualify as the required outlet, IMO.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree but I would have a hard time enforcing that simply because the nec does not state that we cannot reach across.

It merely states adjacent to the sink so it would be an interpretation as to what adjacent means. Is it adjacent to sink one if there is another sink in between? IMO, no but I have heard others argue the point.

jumper

I agree but I would have a hard time enforcing that simply because the nec does not state that we cannot reach across.

It merely states adjacent to the sink so it would be an interpretation as to what adjacent means. Is it adjacent to sink one if there is another sink in between? IMO, no but I have heard others argue the point.

Remember it also says adjacent to basin countertop and there is no language for a bathroom CT as there is a kitchen CT regarding a basin dividing a CT.

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
Remember it also says adjacent to basin countertop and there is no language for a bathroom CT as there is a kitchen CT regarding a basin dividing a CT.
But if it has to be adjacent to the countertop, it does not need to also be adjacent to the sink/basin. Unless you see the two sinks as creating three separate countertops. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.