Duct seal in seal offs as a damming material for chico

Status
Not open for further replies.
is it permissible to use Duct seal as a damming material in an expanded seal off then installing the chico as the seal, I have been told this is a code violation , however I cannot locate where it is in the NEC 2014.

Please advise

It's not in the instructions for the method to sealoff so it violates that.

I think the confusion come in as we are not using it as a sealing method , just as a damming material , the fiber does not work very well especially for expanded seals. looking at ar,502.15 it states that electrical sealing putty is a method of sealing.

the duct seal is effectively taking the place of the fiber which has no sealing ability , so I am still confused as to how it is not compliant.

rbalex

Staff member
Occupation
Professional Electrical Engineer
Unless this is a Class II application, the seal isn't required to be explosionproof in the first place and Section 502.15 is irrelevant. See section 502.5 as well.

If this is a Class I application, the appropriate Section is 501.15(C), [501.15(C)(1) in particular] and Sierrasparky's comment is on point.

bobgorno

I had a plant electrician many years ago that tried to convince me that duct seal was an appropriate damming material. Showed him a nice letter from the manufacturer advising that this not only was not in compliance with their NRTL approval, but it also might effect the integrity of the sealing compound over time due to potential chemical incompatibility.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Sierrasparky

Occupation
Electrician ,contractor
With then few installs I have done at least I was taught by a real professional. Showed me how each wire had to be separated prior to the chico.

Most seal offs I pulled the covers on had wires grouped and some in fact had seepage. You gotta love that quality work

Status
Not open for further replies.