Source for motor reversing switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

mgookin

A shop down the street which does work for us recently bought a used machine. It has a 240V 1p 3hp motor. The reversing switch is bad.
The brand name of the machine is Bridgewood. It's made by the same company in China that makes the machines sold under the Grizzly Industrial and a few other brands. The company which used to import and brand the Bridgewood machines is no longer in business. The guy or his son has a new company. I talked to them yesterday and they won't have anything to do with it.
Trying to source that switch all I find are drum switches. While the drum switch seems more robust than the OEM switch, a problem I see is that installation of the drum switch would be outside the cabinet whereas the existing switch compels the operator to open a door which has a lockout for the motor thereby removing power to the motor before the switch can be switched.
Here's what the old switch looks like:

Motor reversing switch.JPG

When I try to source that switch all I find is product in Malaysia or Greece.
I tried sourcing it through Grizzly and no luck.
Alternatively he could use any SPDP switch with proper ratings but it seems safest to maintain the original design (in case he has some employee working there who gets injured; they'll try to blame everything and everyone).

Does anyone know of a US source for such a reversing switch?

kwired

Electron manager
A shop down the street which does work for us recently bought a used machine. It has a 240V 1p 3hp motor. The reversing switch is bad.
The brand name of the machine is Bridgewood. It's made by the same company in China that makes the machines sold under the Grizzly Industrial and a few other brands. The company which used to import and brand the Bridgewood machines is no longer in business. The guy or his son has a new company. I talked to them yesterday and they won't have anything to do with it.
Trying to source that switch all I find are drum switches. While the drum switch seems more robust than the OEM switch, a problem I see is that installation of the drum switch would be outside the cabinet whereas the existing switch compels the operator to open a door which has a lockout for the motor thereby removing power to the motor before the switch can be switched.
Here's what the old switch looks like:

View attachment 14996

When I try to source that switch all I find is product in Malaysia or Greece.
I tried sourcing it through Grizzly and no luck.
Alternatively he could use any SPDP switch with proper ratings but it seems safest to maintain the original design (in case he has some employee working there who gets injured; they'll try to blame everything and everyone).

Does anyone know of a US source for such a reversing switch?
Look in IEC equipment catalogs not in NEMA equipment catalogs.

mgookin

Cutting it close amperage wise, but this is 20a rated, May need to change the face plate -

http://www.amazon.com/Position-Rota..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0PX4AHXZX79XHGFSRR82

Almost too inexpensive not to try it

125 amp version? - http://www.amazon.com/uxcell-Positi..._UL160_SR160,160_&refRID=0VJBGCSNPC4R28P03XYJ

Hey thanks. I steered him to Grainger for the drum switch.
I'm hesitant on that Chinese stuff that has no spec sheet but thanks for the 411.

In reality I think he's going to wire nut it in the position he wants. It's rare that he ever will need to reverse direction.

this may help

Thank you.

The industry term for those is "cam switch", so search for "IEC cam switch"

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]And thank you.[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]How did you make that do that? Do you get special privileges for being Google's neighbor? [/FONT]

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
How did you make that do that? Do you get special privileges for being Google's neighbor?

You can use it too.

About LMGTFY

LMGTFY is for all those people who find it more convenient to bother you with their question rather than google it for themselves.

It was inspired during a lunch conversation between @coderifous and his friends: @tmassing, @rmm5t, @EricStratton, and @methodvon.

Just create a link to lmgtfy.com with the search string you want and send that link to the annoying person.

(I am not characterizing you as an annoying person!)

Last edited by a moderator:

mgookin

GD:
In one line you spell it one way, and in another line you spell it differently.
DO NOT go to the 2nd one. I just did and crazy things happened; real crazy.

I think I'll pass on trying this for now. Maybe when I'm at a (not a) friend's house on their computer.

Can you still edit your post to remove that?

GoldDigger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired PV System Designer
GD:
In one line you spell it one way, and in another line you spell it differently.
DO NOT go to the 2nd one. I just did and crazy things happened; real crazy.

I think I'll pass on trying this for now. Maybe when I'm at a (not a) friend's house on their computer.

Can you still edit your post to remove that?
Nope, too late. Will have to ask a Mod to fix it.

Status
Not open for further replies.