Wall spacing of receptacles by residential code (must they be duplex receptacles).

Status
Not open for further replies.

AFJES

I have a customer that I am working on a renovation for. I know what the code is for wall spacing of receptacles but does it state anywhere in the code that the receptacle must be a duplex and not a single receptacle with two USB ports (all as one gang). He said he can buy them cheaper than two duplex with USB ports. I know they must be tamper-resistant also.

Thanks

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
One receptacle is required to comply with wall spacing requirements, a duplex is two receptacles. Switched receptacles would not count.

gadfly56

Occupation
Professional Engineer, Fire & Life Safety
If they're the kind of customer that sees the USB port as a plus they are going to be mighty unhappy right quick when they start running out of 120 vAC outlets, probably within the first day or two of occupancy. Heck, there are plenty of places in my house I wish I had a 4-gang box.

Fitzdrew516

If they're the kind of customer that sees the USB port as a plus they are going to be mighty unhappy right quick when they start running out of 120 vAC outlets, probably within the first day or two of occupancy. Heck, there are plenty of places in my house I wish I had a 4-gang box.

Could always use these and kill both birds, but only if the customer likes wasting money .... lots of money.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Leviton-...and-USB-Charger-White-R02-T5632-0BW/205092277

gadfly56

Occupation
Can't find an electrician?:D

Ouch! You really know how to hurt a guy.:cry:

I know my way around a panel, but my real mojo is in fire alarm and fire suppression systems. I could replace one of the duplexes I'm sure, but I'm also pretty sure it wouldn't be quick and definitely not pretty. And besides, that's what they make power strips for, right? :D

gadfly56

Occupation

templdl

So true, when I wire my son's remodel I used plenty of quads where he intended to group his sound and video stuff to reduce the need for power strips. An still he needed to use a few power strips. Also, because of the electronics the power to those outlets were feed from the same lineside of the panel such that no outlet in that area were not 240v appart.
In a bedroom, the nightstand dresser next to the bed may include more than the basic clock radio and lamp which is another place a power strip is used. I also anticipate that the kitchen may need extra outlets because of the number of appliances as well as the outlets being closer together because of those pesky short power cords.
But, this certainly wasn't a bit job where being competitive and profit are an issue.

dkidd

Occupation
PE
a duplex is two receptacles.

From NEC

Receptacle. A receptacle is a contact device installed at the
outlet for the connection of an attachment plug. A single
receptacle is a single contact device with no other contact
device on the same yoke. A multiple receptacle is two or
more contact devices on the same yoke.

emphasis added

note lack of plural on the word receptacle.

Fitzdrew516

I saw those on a trip through Big Orange a while ago. I thought "Cool beans!" until I saw the price, then it was "Egads!" I notice the PR photos show the outlets installed at desktop/counter top height which is the only way I can think of that they'd be useful.

Exactly. I wish I would have put one of those in the lamp I made for my nightstand, but sadly HD only had the single 120v ones.

Attachments

• Lamp.JPG
    Lamp.JPG
    130.1 KB · Views: 2

Fitzdrew516

Does UL allow receptacles on cord connected lamps? IIRC, they stopped listing trouble lights with receptacles on them a few years ago.

I love the idea, though!

Hmm... not sure about that one, but I know I see lamps in hotels with recepts on the bottom of them all the time. These are new(er) hotels too so I assume it can still be done.

mgookin

Does UL allow receptacles on cord connected lamps? IIRC, they stopped listing trouble lights with receptacles on them a few years ago.

I love the idea, though!

I believe that would be because the bulb is subject to breaking and that can cause a hazard, including a fire or shock, which is what UL is all about.

As far as a cord & plug connected receptacle, that's what an extension cord is, that's what a power strip is, and that's what cord & plug connected controlled receptacles are, and they're everywhere.

Awesome lamp!

Status
Not open for further replies.