Multiple A/C disconnects

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcarroll

Please help settle a spirited debate in my office.
A bank of disconnects for condensing units for apartments, offices, etc., is there any code requirement to label the disconnects to the units they serve? I.e apartment 101, 102.....
I can't find anything. Thank you!

Mouser

110.22 Identification of Disconnecting Means.

(A) General. Each disconnecting means shall be legibly
marked to indicate its purpose unless located and arranged
so the purpose is evident. The marking shall be of sufficient
durability to withstand the environment involved.

I'm not one to debate the meaning of "indicate its purpose" but I would include the address or unit number on the disco's.

rcarroll

Thanks. It's obvious the disconnects are for the condensing units. I would I D them to the units, also.
Question is, is the EC required to I D them for their respective units?

jumper

Thanks. It's obvious the disconnects are for the condensing units. I would I D them to the units, also.
Question is, is the EC required to I D them for their respective units?

Unless it is in the mechanical code, I would say no.

It is rare that they are marked as such. If you are lucky the condensing unit may be marked as to which AHU it serves.

jap

Occupation
Electrician
Please help settle a spirited debate in my office.
A bank of disconnects for condensing units for apartments, offices, etc., is there any code requirement to label the disconnects to the units they serve? I.e apartment 101, 102.....
I can't find anything. Thank you!

Even if not a code requirement, I'd side with the guys in your office who are defending labeling the disconnects.

As much chasing as done in those type of installs the flex to the units can be somewhat deceiving.

JAP>

Thinkster

Where I work, we have to follow "It doesn't get landed unless it get's labeled" at least for smaller gauge conductors. And when the say labeled, they mean from where it originates and to where it's going. Now I know these are disconnects, but I would definitely label them as to what unit they feed as it will make it a whole lot easier in the future for service and isolation If someone in the future needs to isolate one of the condensers for service/repair. Whether it's a code requirement or not, I would say it's just good practice and makes your work look more complete and detailed.

rcarroll

Even if not a code requirement, I'd side with the guys in your office who are defending labeling the disconnects.

As much chasing as done in those type of installs the flex to the units can be somewhat deceiving.

JAP>
I would like to see the disconnects labeled as well. I just have a problem with any inspector who won't sign off on a job unless they get what they want. Especially if it can't be backed up by code. :happyno:

jap

Occupation
Electrician
I would like to see the disconnects labeled as well. I just have a problem with any inspector who won't sign off on a job unless they get what they want. Especially if it can't be backed up by code. :happyno:

Is it a code requirement to fill out a panel schedule?

JAP>

rcarroll

Is it a code requirement to fill out a panel schedule?

JAP>
Yes, the panel schedules are marked as condensing units. The question is, do the condensing unit disconnects need to be marked to which apartment, office, whatever they serve. I don't believe they do as much as I'd like to see them ID'd
Make sense?

kwired

Electron manager
Yes, the panel schedules are marked as condensing units. The question is, do the condensing unit disconnects need to be marked to which apartment, office, whatever they serve. I don't believe they do as much as I'd like to see them ID'd
Make sense?
The disconnect in your case is for the condensing unit(s). Unless it is otherwise obvious which disconnect goes to which condensing unit you have to somehow identify which one each goes to. Obvious may be disconnect right near each unit or ability to easily see raceway or cable between disconnect and unit. Put a bank of disconnects that nipple into a gutter and you may need more clarification of which disconnect goes to which condensing unit. Panelboard within sight of the units wouldn't require additional disconnects either, but each branch circuit breaker is the disconnecting means and needs identified what it goes to.

NEC doesn't care which apartment or other space the condenser is for, it is concerned about a service person knowing which disconnect will remove power from the unit he is going to work on.

Status
Not open for further replies.